Should I sell my bike!?

steve_1981
steve_1981 Posts: 114
edited January 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys n gals,

I bought my Stinky in March last year and love it. Problem is that I broke my femur in May and haven't been able to ride it since.

Now, I know what you're thinking. MAY!? that was 8 months ago, you should be able to ride by now??

Well seems that my bones don't want to heal at all and I've now been told I'm not even to walk without using a crutch. :cry:

So i have an immaculate bike sat here doing naff all and, seeing as I'm going to have to have further surgery I'm stuck wtih a dilema.

Keep it or flog it?

What do you guys think and how much, if I were to selll it do you think I could get? As i said, it's immaculate.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• keep it because it's still a good bike and you will be able to ride it eventually. won't you?
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    if its something thats bothering you then sell it. theres no use to having the bike around depreciating all that time of youre not gonna ride it. Im assuming from your post this was a nasty injury and one that will take time to heal, at least another 6 months if youre going to have more surgery on it, and from that I deduce that your riding days are over, at least, the days you spent riding a Stinky are over.

sell it, but keep some of the money for a while and put it towards a new bike if you feel inclined to get back in the saddle.

as for how much you would get for it, we need more information. there were several stinkys released last year.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited January 2009
    Did you do shaft or neck? Much soft tissue damage? Reason I ask is that I broke the neck of my femur and slightly displaced it, oh, 3 years ago now (3 years and 2 weeks) and though the bone healed quickly the extent of the soft tissue damage from the repair meant it was a long time before I could ride- I had to work to get the flex back in my knee, and I'd lost a fair amount of muscle even before spending 5 months on crutches wrecked my muscle tone and muscle memory. It was about 2 years before I could ride a bike on anything other than a flat or downhill, and 2 and a half before I could ride anything like normally.

But, femur breaks give all sorts of variation, it sounds like you;re having more bone issues but you might not have anything like the same level of soft tissue damage I had, which was pretty extreme- we made a simple choice, maximum muscle damage for best bone repair, since the muscles would recover in time but a bad bone repair wouldn't.

(on the plus side, 3 years on now and I can ride anything I could have without the break, and I'm far from the weakest or least fit in our group)

It depends on a lot of things really. In my circumstances, I would have sold, if I'd had a bike worth selling. the type of bike you want when you get back on isn't neccesarily going to be the same, it'll take time to recover the strength and stamina (and skill, and muscle memory) in which time a different bike will probably be better, and depending on how well the bone actually heals you might find that the more extreme riding just doesn't appeal any more. Hips take a beating in cycling, so if it's not going to make a 100% recovery that might be a consideration.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I segmented my femur, 12 places break/shatter in 2003 when racing motorbikes.

It's still pinned from top to bottom, however doesn't affect my life in any way.

Your body WILL recover fella, be patient.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Sell it and buy a XC fullsuser, for now.
    Because it's sure that you won't be able to do some 10ft drops any time soon.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    JC's point about depreciation is a good one. Give it a good home, pocket the cash and maybe learn to enjoy the finer way to cycle eventually, less of that DH woosh stuff n more point n slog. :D

Chin up tho pal!
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    I aggree with JC.
  • Thanks guys.

You've given me a lot to think about. To try and answer some questions:

I broke the neck but the muscles have come back with hard work, I can walk a mile (just) but I can't stand up to pedle a bike. The consultant says that the bones are just not knitting together as welll as they should. I can feel clicks in there every now again!

But, I'm determined that my riding days aren't over!

I heardyour comments about starting again on an easier bike, Cheers guys

t's a 2007 medium (16.5") stinky, the purple one with marzocchi "drop off" forks. I've put a chain device on and a softer spring, apart from that it's as new.

Steve
  • It's only a bike, punt it and get on with your recuperation.

If you are able to get back on two wheels then you can do whenever you like, if you can't then you have my unending sympathy and your bike will just be a constant source of torment to you.

That actually all sounds quite good. What a difference not drinking on a week night makes!

Joe.
  • Hi, just to say sorry to hear that geez, but positive thought, eat well and keep as fit as possible and you might get better quicker than the drs say (at the same time try not to get your hopes up if thats possible).

I broke my metacarpul (big bone in the hand) quite badly in my right hand, I was told no movement for six week minimum, three weeks later I proved them wrong.

Any way sorry to go on about me, but dont get too down about it is ,my main point

James
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited January 2009
    Oops.. double Post
  • I broke my lower leg in April last year. It was the tib/fib and they were broken in 6 places and just to top it off, it was a compound fracture too. Also it was an MTB crash that did the damage
    It took 11 screws and a plate to repair the leg, however I was lucky and healed up real quick and rode again 91 days after the crash that caused the break

Being 40+ years old when it happened, I also considered my options on whether to keep my bike or move it on. As my treatment went on, I realised that I would be riding again and made the decision to retain my bike, however I would have sold it in a heartbeat if I wasn't able to use it in the medium term.

Focus your energy on healing, your femur will get better in the long term and when you have recuperated, buy a new ride, swing that leg over the saddle and have fun

Get well soon and I look forward to reading the Thread you'll start once you've bought a new ride :¬)
  • I if you can't then you have my unending sympathy !

Joe.

Thanks Joe. let's hope it doen't come to that!!!
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Check the price of secondhand Konas before you stick it on ebay.

I don't know if they hold their value terribly well, so you may be better off keeping it.

Plus, it will hopefully encourage your bones to knit back together if it's sat there looking encouragingly at you.
  • A friend of mine snapped his Achilles tendon during a game of Rugby. Curiously it was the fact that he'd got a bike that made him recuperate as fast as he did- knowing that it was sitting around unused was what gave him the determination to push himself.

So trade the Stinky in against a new bike. That way you'll still have the determination to ride but you'll have something less hardcore for when you're ready.
  • Thanks for all your comments & thoughts everybody.

Lots to think about here.

Will let you know what I decide.

Thanks again

Steve
  • docker0141 wrote:
    keep it because it's still a good bike and you will be able to ride it eventually. won't you?

Dunno :cry: . If I could say definitely yes, then I wouldn't even consider selling it.

I know it's "only a bike" but I love it. I'm sure most people reading this can relate to that?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Personally I'd sell it - stick the proceeds in a decent high interest account, then splash out on something a bit special when you're fully recovered.

It's only a thing after all - don't get emotionally attached to it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    decent high interest account,

no such thing these days!!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    steve_1981 wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    decent high interest account,

no such thing these days!!

Depends where you look.... :wink:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Right decision made.

It's in the classifieds now so if you know anyone that might be interested please let them know!

Thanks again for all the comments.