Double Puncture, is this common?

Portrush Philly
Portrush Philly Posts: 65
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
I haven't had a puncture for ages, until today..... but not just one, but both tyres! like a police stinger had been thrown in my path.

I started my morning commute 5 miles each way shortly after 5am this morning, everything was fine, little wind, no rain, 4 miles in I notice the rear tyre losing air rapidly, much swearing followed. However I'm up against the clock in the mornings so to stop and repair would have resulted in being late, I pedalled on, the rear lost air completely and I could feel every small stone on the road. I had convinced myself that I would destroy the tyre and tube anyway so continued to work, 250 metres from my destination I felt the front become spongy, I had another puncture! 2! front & rear, is this normal I ask? I know it never happened to me before in a lifetime of cycling.

Totally fed up I arrived at work surprised that the heavens hadn't opened to complete my start to the day, locked up my bike and went to work. Had people remind me all day that my tyres were flat.

Finished my shift and set about checking out the tyres & tubes for possible repair, to my surprise the rear tyre was intact, I removed tube, ok also, found offending thorn removed and repaired puncture.

Then to the front, found one thorn repaired, inflated to check, still losing air, found second thorn, removed and repaired. Put tyre back on rim and inflated, hissing noise followed, losing the will to live, I found a large shard of glass embedded in the tyre. 3 X punctures in the front tyre, 1 x in the rear. Is this a record? I know it is for me!
I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Despite having tank tyres (Schwalbe Marathon Plusses) I still dig them out every weekend. Usually find at least two or three bits of glass embedded in them. I don't know whether these bits of glass would eventually become a puncture or whether the fact that they didn't puncture in the first place means they never would have but I feel better for doing it and I've got no other use for jewellers screwdrivers.
  • I've just fitted 2 new Marathons and new tubes in a bid to prevent further hassles, the former tyres (also kevlar protected have now been binned) I also pick bits out of my wheels weekly.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    What were your old tyres?
  • Stock ones (X-rated with kevlar puncture protection) that came on a Carrera Subway 2 that I got just to go work and back so I could save my shiny MTB from the winter crud.

The tyres that were on it were surprising good, 3 1/2 months since getting the bike never missed a beat.... until today when they shat themselves. I had planned to replace them at some point with the marathon's that I had already bought, but had hoped to get a little more use out of them before I did.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Sounds like you went through some hedge clippings which hadn't been cleaned up thoroughly. No, it's not usual to get that many punctures, but it can happen. The one time I got unlucky, it looked like someone had taken a sewing machine to my tube.