Do you ever need to clean or lube STi shifters?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited January 2009 in Workshop
As per the title, do STi shifters ever need to be serviced, cleaned or lubricated in any way whatsoever?

If so what's the procedure? And how regularly should you do it?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i used to give my tiagra STi's a lube every now and again - nothing scientific though - just a skoosh of teflon lube inside the hoods into the mechanism.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    never touched em and never had any problems
  • I have an 8 year old pair of Campag Record levers that have just been to Mercian Cycles for a service and they've come back shifting like new. :D
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I spray TF2 Teflon down into them after spray hosing the bike down - not sure of the rights/wrongs, but after washing the bike I tend to spary the TF2 on many/most bits and then lube the chain as normal with FL Cross Country.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    I've always left them alone. Had a pair of 105's for about 3 years used commutting daily (all weather) and winter training. They were fine and as far as I know still working for the bloke who bought the bike second hand. Also had tiagra and Sora on winter bikes about two years each and both were fine. Can't see any harm in lubeing them as reccomended with light spray but I know I'd be clumsy and end up having it all over the tape etc.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    mainly just ratchets, springs and pivots - I tend to spray a bit of WD into mine periodically, but this is as much to chase out any water than it is to lube them...