Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

whey protien

dcabdcab Posts: 255
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
thinking of using a post ride suppliment, just how much difference does it make?which is best and were is the cheapest place to get it?
veritas vos liberabit

Posts

  • You might want to look at this thread:

    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 15&start=0

    Personally I can feel a difference. I feel a lot better the next day if i've had one post ride and just before going to sleep.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hello - i agree with you - I like a whey protein shake after riding - especially if it has been a tough interval based "short sharp" ride - the type where you know you are going to feel it in your legs the next day.

    I also use them to accompany the weight training I do - and I take a milk based casein shake at night to keep the muscles fed during the night.

    I buy all my protein from www.myprotein.co.uk who sell as bulk powders - make sure you order a tub for your first order then refill it as you re-order. I usually buy flavoured stuff (strawberry or vanilla is my favourite) but if you are hard you can save a few more quid by having it unflavoured.
  • neebneeb Posts: 4,409
    Personally I just stuff a banana or two down immediately afterwards, quaff a pint or two of water and then cook a big nutritious meal with protein and complex carbohydrates, e.g. grilled fish and sweet potatoes with broccoli on the side (washed down with a pint of stout...)

    Incidentally, a lot of evidence is mounting up that if you live in Northern Europe, and especially if you are far north, taking substantial supplements (50 micrograms or even more) of Vitamin D3 during the winter is a very good idea for all sorts of reasons. Assuming you are eating healthily, there's little benefit to taking regular antioxidant supplements such as Vitamins C & E, and they may even be slightly harmful. The only supplements I take these days are D3 (winter only) and fish oil (an expensive purified form that's guaranteed free of heavy metals..)
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    neeb wrote:
    Personally I just stuff a banana or two down immediately afterwards, quaff a pint or two of water and then cook a big nutritious meal with protein and complex carbohydrates, e.g. grilled fish and sweet potatoes with broccoli on the side (washed down with a pint of stout...)

    Incidentally, a lot of evidence is mounting up that if you live in Northern Europe, and especially if you are far north, taking substantial supplements (50 micrograms or even more) of Vitamin D3 during the winter is a very good idea for all sorts of reasons. Assuming you are eating healthily, there's little benefit to taking regular antioxidant supplements such as Vitamins C & E, and they may even be slightly harmful. The only supplements I take these days are D3 (winter only) and fish oil (an expensive purified form that's guaranteed free of heavy metals..)

    i agree with you on the vitamins front - not needed with a decent diet.

    protein is a different kettle of fish though - if you have training needs (like I want to gain some lean weight) for muscle growth and are looking to consume, say 1g protein per lb bodyweight - then it is very difficult (and expensive!) to get 160gram of protein a day from diet! - where a shake works out at 50p say and provides a clean and easy 30g of protein - well worth it if you need the protein.
  • neebneeb Posts: 4,409
    I guess if you are trying to build muscle you need to take in lots of protein, but assuming you are cycling-fit already, how much do you need just to keep the muscle repair topped up? If you look at many of the pros who are climbers, they don't have large volumes of muscle, even on their legs. Just asking because I don't know, and you seem to see lots of conflicting advice about this.
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    oh i agree - the muscle i want to gain is upper body which i am not doing for cycling!

    if however - you are not 'cycling fit' already then your legs are probably adjusting to training etc and will be growing
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    The peak time that is the most beneficial is post workout.

    I would also suggest adding a large amount of Dextrose with the Protein therefore giving your body what it needs, Protein and Carbohydrates.

    Don't be fooled by the marketing of most company's whey protein, or less it says blend or anything is added it is basically exactly the same. I would personally go for WPI Whey Protein Isolate which Sport Supplements UK have for lower than most company's sell Whey Protein Concentrate which is inferior.

    Link Below

    http://www.sportsupplementsuk.com/epage ... es/Protein

    Or

    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... n-powders/

    However is more expensive.
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the myprotein whey isolate is £14.99 per kilo - the sportsupplements stuff is £19.99 for just 2lbs

    also - I thought that the only benefits of isolate were that it was suitable for lactose intolerance? - i didn't think that std whey concentrate was 'inferior' as such?
  • oldwelshmanoldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I also use drink from my protein site for race and post ride. Sometimes for post ride I make a smoothie of banana,grape and strawberry, good a drink as any.
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the myprotein whey isolate is £14.99 per kilo - the sportsupplements stuff is £19.99 for just 2lbs

    also - I thought that the only benefits of isolate were that it was suitable for lactose intolerance? - i didn't think that std whey concentrate was 'inferior' as such?

    It appears there is slightly less fat and carbs and more protein in the Isolate compared to the concentrate also i read the Isolate is absorbed slightly quicker.
    Cheers, Stu
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the myprotein whey isolate is £14.99 per kilo - the sportsupplements stuff is £19.99 for just 2lbs

    also - I thought that the only benefits of isolate were that it was suitable for lactose intolerance? - i didn't think that std whey concentrate was 'inferior' as such?

    2.2lb Myprotein = £22
    2lb Sport Supplements UK = £20

    Both flavoured WPI, works out same price. However Myprotein ratio is 88% protein whilst Sportsupplementsuk is 90%.
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Vivid wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the myprotein whey isolate is £14.99 per kilo - the sportsupplements stuff is £19.99 for just 2lbs

    also - I thought that the only benefits of isolate were that it was suitable for lactose intolerance? - i didn't think that std whey concentrate was 'inferior' as such?

    2.2lb Myprotein = £22
    2lb Sport Supplements UK = £20

    Both flavoured WPI, works out same price. However Myprotein ratio is 88% protein whilst Sportsupplementsuk is 90%.

    what about this one - isn't this the isolate? 14.99 per kilo:
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... y-isolate/
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    gkerr4 wrote:
    Vivid wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the myprotein whey isolate is £14.99 per kilo - the sportsupplements stuff is £19.99 for just 2lbs

    also - I thought that the only benefits of isolate were that it was suitable for lactose intolerance? - i didn't think that std whey concentrate was 'inferior' as such?

    2.2lb Myprotein = £22
    2lb Sport Supplements UK = £20

    Both flavoured WPI, works out same price. However Myprotein ratio is 88% protein whilst Sportsupplementsuk is 90%.

    what about this one - isn't this the isolate? 14.99 per kilo:
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... y-isolate/

    Yeh it is however that price is for unflavoured whey with no delivery charge.

    They try and draw people in with the price and then hit them with the charges. I don't mind though £4 for postage is quite reasonable.
  • gkerr4gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    true - i know what you are saying there actually.

    I am quite happy with the service from them though - and now I have containers I just buy the refills - i might have a look at the other site when it comes to re-order.
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    Yeh the refills are great.

    I usually rotate once i get bored of the flavours and switch between the two brands.

    All this training better make me on form for summer! :)
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... y-isolate/

    Do you get a container with this?
    Cheers, Stu
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    Vivid wrote:

    2.2lb Myprotein = £22
    2lb Sport Supplements UK = £20

    Both flavoured WPI, works out same price. However Myprotein ratio is 88% protein whilst Sportsupplementsuk is 90%.

    Cant see any flavoured on the Sport Sup page? :?

    The MP Isolate is 90% or am i reading it wrong:-
    Impact Whey Isolate® provides over 90g of protein per 100g on a dry matter basis, is low in fat and lactose and rich in calcium
    Cheers, Stu
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    duckson wrote:
    Vivid wrote:

    2.2lb Myprotein = £22
    2lb Sport Supplements UK = £20

    Both flavoured WPI, works out same price. However Myprotein ratio is 88% protein whilst Sportsupplementsuk is 90%.

    Cant see any flavoured on the Sport Sup page? :?

    The MP Isolate is 90% or am i reading it wrong:-
    Impact Whey Isolate® provides over 90g of protein per 100g on a dry matter basis, is low in fat and lactose and rich in calcium

    Ill check up on that as from my calculations is works out as 88%.
  • fluff.fluff. Posts: 771
    duckson wrote:

    Nope, all the stuff on there is sold in bags, you can by the tubs separately from for a quid or so a time.

    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/empty-tubs/
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    Vivid wrote:
    Ill check up on that as from my calculations is works out as 88%.

    90g of 100g is 90% though..... :?

    And Thanks fluff. :wink:
    Cheers, Stu
  • VividVivid Posts: 267
    duckson wrote:
    Vivid wrote:
    Ill check up on that as from my calculations is works out as 88%.

    90g of 100g is 90% though..... :?

    And Thanks fluff. :wink:

    100 divided by 30 x 26.5 = 88.33%

    Not quite 90%, nice tasting though :)
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    Vivid wrote:
    duckson wrote:
    Vivid wrote:
    Ill check up on that as from my calculations is works out as 88%.

    90g of 100g is 90% though..... :?

    And Thanks fluff. :wink:

    100 divided by 30 x 26.5 = 88.33%

    Not quite 90%, nice tasting though :)

    So their quote of 90g per 100g is rubbish then? :?

    EDIT the SSUK WPI using the above calc method comes out at 88% not 90%...
    Cheers, Stu
  • hi, i use the recovery xs from my protein seems good, its on the formulas section. I also use high5 with the protein in it for longer rides. All seems to work well
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    hi, i use the recovery xs from my protein seems good, its on the formulas section. I also use high5 with the protein in it for longer rides. All seems to work well

    I'm trying to lose a few pounds as well really so i guess i'd be better with just the WPI?
    Cheers, Stu
  • Jez monJez mon Posts: 3,809
    When i was doing serious training (don't have time or inclination now i'm at uni :( ) I used to take a protein shake after every session, and would feel far better for it. I also tried using a mixture of banana, milk chocolate and peanut butter as a replacement for protein shake, but found the powder worked far better.

    However, it could all be placebo, the point is however, that it worked!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Sign In or Register to comment.