Heart Atatck and Strokes??

Twisterboy
Twisterboy Posts: 311
edited January 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Hi all,

Just wondered if people on here have or know people who have suffered a stroke or a heart attack.

My Grandad had a stroke and heart attack back in December before xmas and it has been quite hard for me and I really felt it last night when I visited him, he basically told me I deserved a good belt for not allowing him out of the hospital (He can't walk as yet), this was in comparison to friday when he was having a good day and was chatting away to me.

Now it got me wondering do you think he means it when he says he would belt me or he does not realise he is saying it.

Anyone got any advice on this.

I just feel so low today seeing him in that state.

Cheers

David

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    A stroke damages brain tissue, permanently.

peoples character can totally change, from quite to aggressive and vice versa. it is a very complicated problem, much depends on the site of he stroke, the size damaged, if it's ongoing etc etc.

try not to take what's happening too seriously, just be glad of the good times you've had.

my wife's gran died tuesday from the results of a stroke the week before. seeing her get progressively worse was hard for us all. we were pleased when she finally died.

this may not be what you wanted to hear, but I'm not one to give false hope.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Cheers mate, it only seems like yesterday when I was visiting him every sunday and everything seemed normal then bang everything changes so fast.

David
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sorry to hear that, both of you.

My StepDad, who I live with, had a stroke 10 years ago at the age of 41, followed by a brain haemorrhage which left him paralysed down one side and unable to speak. A left sided stroke as it was, a right sided often doesn't effect speech as much.

He is doing really well though! Can speak pretty well now, can walk (though still half paralysed) and even drive with an adapted car. He is a changed person, but in many ways he says for the better.

As Andrew said, I wouldn't take what he said too seriously - most people would be grumpy banged up in hospital!

Best thing to do is keep with him.

All the best,

Paul
  • Thanks Paul, I'm learning slowly to cope with it even if it means shouting at him to say he is not getting out, seems to understand. I'm only going in once a week but every day seems to be diffrent, he thinks he is well enough in his head and he looks a lot better but the hospital say that he can't walk or swallow food, we have been told it can take between a few months and a few years to fully recover.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, it can take time! Was a slow process with my stepdad, and with your Grandad being older, maybe slower still. What he regains is completely variable, but the fact he is talking and sems well is a great start.
  • Talking is good but the hospital say he is suffering from acute delariam, where he sees people who are not there or talks about the past.