Handlebar advice please

wilwil
wilwil Posts: 374
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I don't have small hands but I don't feel that I can reach the levers properly when in the drops, which is making me reticent to use the drops, especially down hills. At the moment I'm using ITM Visia bars with Centaur 08 levers, are there anything bars I should look at to improve things? Or do I just need to get used to the fact that I should only be using the tips of my fingers for braking?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Could it not be something else such as stem length, or handlebar width?

I noticed a big difference when I changed 46cm bars for 42's, much more comfy.

Alternatively, I believe you can get women specific handlebars (Don't worry they are not pink!) which are designed with slightly smaller dimensions in mind, and I noticed quite a few cheapy bargains on ebay, including carbon, as most blokes ignore them.

Either that or it might be the style of the drop, I like the ones that aren't a continous curve, but have a diagonally angled section, where you can really fit our hand into it, before the flat section - if that makes sense - sorry, tricky to explain....

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Look for compact bars.

FSA, Pro (Ribble and CRC have these), and 3T (ergonova or ergosum - can't remember) all do pretty good compact bars.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Triathlon/10/ ... 360036373/

Hit google and have a search.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Look for compact bars.

FSA, Pro (Ribble and CRC have these), and 3T (ergonova or ergosum - can't remember) all do pretty good compact bars.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Triathlon/10/ ... 360036373/

Hit google and have a search.

as above - I also (strangely) have the ITM visia bars with centaur 08 shifters - they are too long a 'reach' on the bars - I think they are 93mm - compact bars are closer to 75mm(ish) and will make a difference to how you use the levers - also the hoods will be closer to you.

I'm also looking for some new bars and can't quite decide on which ones (although I am being awkward and also looking for carbon bling!)
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    So, are you not supposed to use your fingertips for braking? I always have, i can just about get 3 finger tips on the top part of the level whilst on the hoods for braking.... ive been wondered if that was correct or not for a while but never asked. :?
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond