Coffin nails

13»

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    gb155 wrote:
    you have to WANT to stop though.

+1 I had cut down to really not very many a few months before the smoking ban.

I'd always thought that the smoking ban would be a bad thing and so had promised myself one final pint and cigarette on the last day that I could smoke it indoors (with no intention to give up, just to mark the passing of pub smoking)

Anyhoo, about 3 months before the ban came in, I was sat with my then wife and her friends all of whom were smoking like mad, I'd had one maybe two but was sat there with my eyes streaming because of the smoke and suddenly thought to myself "I can't wait for the smoking ban"

:idea:

Without really noticing I gave up well before the ban came in, I finally clocked that I'd given up when someone offered me a cigarette and I realised that it had been three weeks siince my last one, I didn't accept and haven't had one since.

But Gaz is so right I WANTED to give up.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    One thing I particularly noticed after I'd given up is my sense of taste returning. Suddenly food was all the more intensively flavoured and delicous. It's true what they say about smoking killing your taste buds and the reason a lot of smokers pile salt all over their food.

I never got that at all :cry: although most people who stop mention it.
    Gino Bartali's doctor used to prescribe him 3 cigarettes a day! Merckx was/is a light smoker too.

one of the greatest ever french rugby players - Serge Blanco (great name!) - used to smoke at half time!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sewinman wrote:
    One thing I particularly noticed after I'd given up is my sense of taste returning. Suddenly food was all the more intensively flavoured and delicous. It's true what they say about smoking killing your taste buds and the reason a lot of smokers pile salt all over their food.

I never got that at all :cry: although most people who stop mention it.
    Gino Bartali's doctor used to prescribe him 3 cigarettes a day! Merckx was/is a light smoker too.

one of the greatest ever french rugby players - Serge Blanco (great name!) - used to smoke at half time!

I haa friend in Spain who was a fairly heavy smoker, then she became pregnant. She asked the Spanish doctor if she should give up, he said no, it would probably cause her and the baby more stress to do so, so she carried on! I remember sitting in bars in Islington with her whilst she smoked and drank red wine whilst preggaz...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.