The Lakes - 2.5 days worth of routes needed!

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
I'm looking to spend Easter weekend in The Lakes with a few friends, partly as a training camp type of break, partly to recce the Fred Whitton route.

Current plan is to arrive Fri lunchtime and start with a short, relatively flat, relatively 'easy' spin on Fri afternoon. The Sat-Tues will be 4 days solid riding, probably breaking up the Fred route over two of those days and probably doing a couple of the passes more than once (although not Hardknott!).

So, any recommendations for routes would be most welcome - favourites of yours from the area, or ways to combine the best of the area over the 2.5 days that we're not riding the Fred route, and remembering that the 0.5 day is planned as a steady and fairly flat one!

Cheers 8)

Comments

• to recce the Fred Whitton route

Well for starters this is taking place on Easter Sunday and covers the Fred Whitton route from before Whinlatter (Keswick) until Little Langdale (after Wrynose)

I heard lots of riders last year saying they were using it as a recce for the fred.

http://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=14
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    where in the lakes is your base camp?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    edited January 2009
    basically coniston to keswick is the easy front half

and keswick to coniston the hard back half

you can skip whinlatter and shorten the rear end from Keswick to coniston taking in the two "biggies" honnister and hardnott

there is no real flat riding in the lakes except a few major A roads

prepare yourself for a shock

kirkstone is the only major climb that lends itself to "hill" repeats in a single ride..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A 50mile suggestion...and get yer climbing legs on....

Grasmere - Red Bank (25%) - Greater langdale - Bleat Tarn (25%) - Wrynose East - Hardknott East - King george pub - Birker Fell (20%) - Ulpha - Stickle Pike(25%) - Broughton Mills - Torver - Coniston - Hawkshead Hill - left at Drunlen Duck Pub - Skelwith Bridge - Tarnfoot - Grasmere

Read my mates excellent website for all you want to know about the area:-

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/index.htm
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    hey rich

You are coming to my back yard.

The lakeland loop sportive takes place that weekend ( i am doing it) and it takes in some of the FW

kev
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Try this: http://www.aukweb.net/cal/perms/calsolo.php?Ride=AC36

Not very informative but it's 400km around Cumbria. Write to Andy and he'll send you the route ifyou're a member of AUK.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers