Anybody else struggling with Sram 10 speed chain powerlinks

Barça
Barça Posts: 175
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
I have used 9 speed chains and the superb 9 speed gold powerlinks for years on my road and mountain bikes but the new bike is my first with a 10 speed set up and I upgraded the stock 10 speed chain to Sram and I'm currently on my 3rd pair of black powerlinks! I can't get them to work for the life of me! They just won't push together! The pin goes into the wider part of the opening as it should but will only move half way (if that) down the plate before it wedges! I have even tried it on the bike as it is and of course the teeth on the cassette or chainring won't go all the way in because the link is about half the size it should be.....ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Help! Please! Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong? These must be from a bad batch of links or something?

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    If you're putting it on then do it up as much as you can, wind the chain around to the top between the cassette and chainrings, apply the brakes and then push on the pedals - that should click it in.

If you're trying to undo it, don't - you can't... well, you possibly could, but it's not designed to come apart like the 9spd ones.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd try KMC links instead if I were you, at least you can take their 10sp ones apart
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sram ones are absolutely fine once you get to know how to connect and disconnect. This may help:

http://bicycletutor.com/quick-release-chain-link/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    If you're putting it on then do it up as much as you can, wind the chain around to the top between the cassette and chainrings, apply the brakes and then push on the pedals - that should click it in.

If you're trying to undo it, don't - you can't... well, you possibly could, but it's not designed to come apart like the 9spd ones.

I'm with you on this one. Sram 9 speed links come undone. 10 speeds - no(I think or am at
    least pretty sure).

Dennis Noward
  • Barça
    Barça Posts: 175
    All sorted now, thanks guys. Took mine back tio the LBS and they couldn't get them to fasten either. Opened a new chain, took the connectors out, fitted them as tight as they would go, pressed hard on the pedals and all fixed. Must have been a couple from a bad batch?
    It's a shame they're not like the reuseable 9 speed connectors though.