which pedals?

mtbhenry888
mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm in the market for some new clipless pedals, looking at shimano m520's as they seem to have good reviews, I am looking at the cheaper end of the spectrum, definately nothing over £30, I can get m520's for £16 at that price even if they last a year I don't care!

Any suggestions, or are the m520's ok?

I do like eggbeaters though, they look better for mud clearance, should I up the budget for them or stick with the shimano offerings?

Thanks
Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    M520's are one of the best buy's when it comes to pedals, cheap, long lasting good positive clip in/out & adjustable cleat tension.

Crank bros pedals, whilst they look nice & supposedly shed mud better (not that my Shimano SPD's have had any mud issues) have been known to fall apart quite quickly.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I've used shimano spds for years now, no problem. I moved to Crank Bros Smarties last sept, and haven't got on with them. I find them much harder to clip into, not as positive a clip in, and also harder to release.

Had far too many "spd" moments since then. (or should that be smarty moments!?)

I've now decided to try flats, so bought a set of Wellgo MG1 flats. I love them.

I still use the smarty pedals on my road bike though, but then I barely have to unclip on the road.

I'd go for 520s, for £16 you can't go wrong.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    If you don't have a pedal spanner, the M540 would be better suited to you as installation requires only an allen key at the back of the crank arms. It also has a cleaner look and not much more expensive than the M520s.

Also, reviews on here say the eggbeaters quite often damage the outsoles of shoes so you should have a read.

Hope this helps.
  • yeah done a little bit of reading up about the crank brothers stuff, not that good apparently, ive been using speciailized lo pro mag 2 flats for the last year and while theyre great pedals, i can't find a good shoe to use with them and i don't like my feet bouncing all over the pedals when i'm riding

thanks for the help guys, ill go with the M520s
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.