E13 Supercharger/Chain Ring help!

l00cas
l00cas Posts: 75
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a 36t supercharger to go over my 34t chainring. It fits fine except the BCD was different on the chain ring which I didn't realise/think about :x I cant send it back to chain reaction cycles because e13 dont make a bashring like this with a 112mm BCD -.-
So I set about trying to drill new holes for the bolts. The bolts on the ring werent 8mm in diam. either so clearly the stock crankset is trying to reject everything I do! Ive kinda bodged some drilled holes with an 8mm drill bit after drilling out the old bolts because they were so tight -.-
Ive been trying to drill the new hole with a bit overlapping the new one, like an '8' so that the 8mm bolt will fit in the larger part of the hole but I think ive kinda screwed it up now because the drill bit catches on the pointy edges and just drags the drill down the middle of the two without properly cutting. That probably seems very confusing, but due to the stock and highly crap nature of the crankset which doesnt have 4 bolt arms, is it likely that if I buy a new middle chainring which will accept the bashguard, it wont fit because of my cranks? So should I A) buy a new crankset and possibly have to update my BB aswell =( B)file the holes out to correct size or c) just buy a new chainring?
Any help much appreciated because I cant help thinking i've jumped in at the deep end with regards to chainset tinkering having not yet learnt to swim.

cheers

Comments

• l00cas
    The one on my bike currently? The cranks and chain rings are unbranded im guessing theyre just cheap standardised parts, everything else is upgraded shimano stuff by me.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    picture of the crankset please.

Oh and getting a middleburn chain ring will leave you with the same problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • l00cas
    Hi Sorry,
    I dont have an image hosting account atm because it got hacked, theyre trying to sort it out but I cant post any atm. I could email some though if you like. cheers