Shimano Price Hike

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Bit miffed at the mo - but it might all work out well...

Was trying to decide on which crankset to get - wether to splash out the hard earned and get XTR or stick with XT.

Someone advised me that prices were about to go through the roof, so decided to order an XTR crankset from Stif for £225 last night.

All went through ok, email came through quoting the price etc.

Spoke to them today and was told that they won't have stock till end of next week, and that the new stock is higher priced - £292.82!

I said "No No No" - I ordered it from them as they had it on their site, at the lower price, and I want it at that price!

Awaiting an answer....

If they say it has to be at new price I won't be very happy!!! :evil:

Comments

• fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    I'm soooo happy I got all my parts, the frame has gone up by £300, the forks by £150, the XT groupset by £50 etc..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Apparently this is because a lot of these places buy the stuff in from shimano europe, going over in a big van and picking it all up, which is why we should be expecting massive price hikes.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You'll probably find that it's simply because the pound is so weak against every other currency - be it dollar, euro or yen. It's the lowest its been in 25 years in some cases, so unfortunately EVERYTHING is going to shoot up in price.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Look at RRP for RS now - Dart 3, £180
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    supersonic wrote:
    Look at RRP for RS now - Dart 3, £180

:shock:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    Check here for the new hyper prices:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Rock ... rks_-_MTB/

Tora race 29er, 500 quid?!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    supersonic wrote:
    Check here for the new hyper prices:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Rock ... rks_-_MTB/

Tora race 29er, 500 quid?!

Yet the Reba Team 29er is 540 quid?!

Argyle 409 2008 250 quid
    Argyle 409 3009 450 quid!!!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    I got my Tora 318 SA from wiggle last year for 82 quid!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    edited January 2009
    I think all Bike and bike components has we did know this was coming
    So they put up there prices, so when they have to discount them they have not lost anything.

Im glad I bought my bike last year cost £ 2,699.99p now £ 3,199.99p
    Price hike even though a couple of changes to the frame doesnt warrent the price.
  • Frightening.A lot of people will be making do with what they have,rather than upgrading,so there will be less secondhand bikes and parts too,forcing up prices of this source of cheap bikes and bits too.This seems to be having an effect already.

I noticed this week a couple of secondhand Trek 1200 road bikes on ebay like my own go for nearly £400.I only paid £300 mine 4 months ago.

Some of us might be scared of riding our bikes for fear of breaking anything!
    If the prices continue to rise like this,I might have to choose between my mtb and my road bike........ :roll:

Still a few bargains around if you know where to look though and it seems to have had a bigger effect on the high end stuff like XT kit.Not long ago it was easy to pick up an XT rear mech for £30,now they are nearer £45.XT chainset was £90,now around £120,on Merlin.

SLX is looking even better vaue for money!

Those RS price rises are horrendous.I could maybe justify spending £250 on a pair of Rebas a little while back,but theres no way I could justify spending £500 on a pair of forks.

Time to learn how to service your own forks I reckon.

I would have thought this is going to really hit the business of the UK bike industry.

People will be holding on to kit and bikes and thinking hard about buying new.

Some bike parts are stupidly expensive for what they are,as it is.

As much as I like upgrading,and buying bits is something like a chainset really worth £200,of a pair of forks £500?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • gcwebbyuk
    Bottom line is - can stif do this?

I have the order email with the original price on it - surely that means they have to honour the order at that price?
  • Tell them to honour the price or lose the sale.Then try Merlin.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Your right Spiderman I reckon I could flog my bike for £ 100 more
    than I paid for it already.

A couple of weeks back I had to change my rear mech X9 and mech hanger
    Chain and Cassette plus i had them put a third cog up front (race face)
    Plus one spoke

This cost me £ 250.00p to replace and fit, Ouch
  • maybe banks will start mortgages for bikes :P but quite probably that would lead to a collapse similar to the one we are having at the moment.

you know people in europe are buying lots of bikes over here right now? mainly because of the euro being so strong against the pound that retailers havent put pries up to cope with it yet. it is cheaper for them to buy over here and pay for shipping than to buy at their lbs'.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I went for Stif as their price was less than Merlin by £30.

I was originally going to get an XT at £109 - but then thought I would treat myself and get an XTR.

Thought I would get it now while prices were less, as I was aware the prices would go up.

Will speak to them again tomorrow and see what they have decided on.
  • Will the hike affect saint products too? (i'm guessing yes as its an offshoot of shimano..
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    holy crap!

That shop service for £70 inc bushes and seals is starting to sound like a good option for my toras!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

I have the order email with the original price on it - surely that means they have to honour the order at that price?

I believe they're legally allowed to change the price (IANAL though), you should get the opportunity to cancel though (and distance selling regs mean you could send it back). I'd probably try to ring them, they may be more sympathetic over the phone and you'll get a quicker answer.
  • dave_hill
    Frightening.A lot of people will be making do with what they have,rather than upgrading,so there will be less secondhand bikes and parts too,forcing up prices of this source of cheap bikes and bits too.

Usually lower demand forces prices down, not up.

You'll notice that the increases affect items imported into the UK - stuff wholly manufactured in the UK should remain fairly stable in price.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

Correct. If you advertise goods at a given price, you have to honour that price. You can't take an order and then say, "oh sorry, it's not £10, it's £20!".

That is quite simply illegal - if this happens it should be brought to the attention of Trading Standards.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    A shop is under no obligation to sell at the advertised price. It is an 'invitation to treat', the shop can refuse the offer. This is to protect them from genuine mistakes.

However it still maybe an offence under the trading standards act if the lower prices are used to entice buyers into a shop or website or are misleading. Genuine mistakes are generally not treated this way.

Even if the shop has taken your money they are quite within their rights to refund you.
  • gcwebbyuk
    What about once the order has been placed, and a confirmation email has been sent at the lower price?
  • supersonic
    I think they can stiill refund you, but it is suspect. Maybe a geniune case of the old stock has gone, and the new stuff they are getting in is the new prices, or they are having a laugh.

Certainly worth complaining to them!
  • dave_hill
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    What about once the order has been placed, and a confirmation email has been sent at the lower price?

If you've got confirmation, the vendor either has to honour that price, offer alternative goods at the same price (or lower), or offer a refund if they are unable to then provide the goods.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • gcwebbyuk
    Well am happy - they agreed to original price, and all items are on their way!

Wahey
  • gcwebbyuk
    XTR Crankset and front Mech :)

Thats it - no more spending now!!!