Fixed without lockring

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited January 2009 in Road general
Just won a sale for a singlespeed screw on hub with disc mounts and going to build it up before I let the LBS finish it off. If I chose to attempt a ride with fixed would I need a lockring as I will have the disc break to slow down with rather than the backpedal pressure which would undo the sprocket.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    As you say, without a lockring, the sprocet will unscrew if you apply any backward pressure. Other than stopping you being thrown off (at the expense of spontaneusly dismantling you drive chain) if you forget you're riding fixed, I'm not sure what the benefit would be. I think you'd probably manage once you got used to it, but could be a bit weird, I'd just get a lockring.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    As you say, without a lockring, the sprocet will unscrew if you apply any backward pressure. Other than stopping you being thrown off (at the expense of spontaneusly dismantling you drive chain) if you forget you're riding fixed, I'm not sure what the benefit would be. I think you'd probably manage once you got used to it, but could be a bit weird, I'd just get a lockring.

I think he's talking about a hub that doesn't have the reverse threads for a lockring. On such a hub, a lockring threaded the same way as the cog won't do a hell of a lot though it might arguably be better than nothing.

To the OP:

If you screw the cog on really hard (Google rotafix for a method) then it'll probably be secure enough to let you at least slow down with back pressure. Just don't try skidding or any other sudden deceleration. Don't forget that lockrings aren't typically used on the track, where no brakes are used to slow down.

Matthew
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If it is on a road bike, and you wont be running discs, someone does a sprocket that bolts onto the disc mounts... safer option i think.

As for your lockring issue, IIRC the lockring from old cup and cone bbs will fit on, if you threadlock the thing liberally and snug them together really tight then you should be fine.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

As for your lockring issue, IIRC the lockring from old cup and cone bbs will fit on, if you threadlock the thing liberally and snug them together really tight then you should be fine.

Yeah, both threads are 1.37"x24tpi, not sure if I've got a BB lockring kicking around at home, been too many years of cartridge BBs. Just an idea at the moment.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "As for your lockring issue, IIRC the lockring from old cup and cone bbs will fit on, if you threadlock the thing liberally and snug them together really tight then you should be fine."

Yes +1.

Bang 'em both up TIGHT and (especially with a rear brake!) extremely unlikely that you'll shift 'em unless you really TRY.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    The ISO sprockets that go direct onto the ISO disc mount are available here along with a few useful bits and pieces. The site appears to be down for maintenance at the moment

http://www.londonfixiebike.co.uk/shop.html

I am a bit dubious about their idea of using a front wheel at the back; usually front wheels have smaller bearings; perhaps mtb hubs are different. I am not stripping one of mine to find out!
    Cheers Jo