Sportive around west mdlands / worcester

Alex_Gill
Alex_Gill Posts: 38
i started cycling around christmas, and i'm really gtting into it.
but i was wandering, wheather there are there were any good sportives
around the area near me?
i bought the recent cycling plus magazine with their sportive guide, but is there anything else around the wes mids / worcestersire way??
i think it'd give me something to aim for, a goal.
any help is greatfully received.
cheers
exercise.png

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    edited January 2009
    Alex,
    There are quite a few once you start digging!

2 that immediately spring to mind are the Mad March Hare and the Epic Cycles Spring Challenge. They would have been good introductions. Unfortunately, both are now sold out :cry::cry: but the MMH has a reserve list and you could try contacting the organisers closer to the date to see if they have cancellations.
    Others are:
    Circuit of the Cotswolds.
    Forest of Dean Spring Classic
    Cyclesport Midlands 20th Reliability Trial
    Worcester St Johns Reliability Trial
    Redditch R&P CC Reliability Trial
    (OK, so Reliability Rides are not exactly Sportives but they are similar)
    Wyre Forest Stinger
    Wild Edric

There is also another less publicised one in Shropshire the name of which escapes me. When I remember I will post it. Edit: It's the Shropshire Highlands Challenge

Where abouts exactly are you? Are you in a Club?
    Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • i live in Stourbridge
    just on the south western tip of the Birmingham connurbation.
    i'm still deliberating about joining a club.
    being a student money is scarce, but i have some good friends i ride with regularly.
    cheers for your advice.
    i'll get googling all you said
    exercise.png
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Alex,
    You may know already, but there are a couple of very good clubs in your area. Well worth joining.

Stourbridge CC and Halesowen A & CC.

Halesowen are a very large and high profile club in the Midlands. Looks a bit expensive to join, but they have very, very good facilities and have some top riders in the membership.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Alex_Gill wrote:
    i live in Stourbridge
    just on the south western tip of the Birmingham connurbation.
    i'm still deliberating about joining a club.
    being a student money is scarce, but i have some good friends i ride with regularly.
    cheers for your advice.
    i'll get googling all you said

Alex, I am a member of both the Beacon and the Wyre Forest, which are local clubs.

If you are looking a sportive events, the best club in the area to join is probably the Beacon RCC which set off from Northfield. In terms of generating sportive riders, we turn out a fair few number for events, eg, 20 in the Mad March Hare or 15 in last year's Autumn Epic.

During the winter months, I have been running sportive training rides but alas, the last two events which are tied up to the Mad March Hare and Sunrise Audax are now fully booked.

In addition to the sportive rides, the Beacon also promotes the popular Cotswold Audax (this year on 21st June) and Sunrise/Snowdrop Audax in Feb (now booked sadly). There are also club runs on Sundays for all abilities plus another set on Thursdays - these are an excellent way of keeping the legs ticking over during the winter months.

If you are interested and would like to ask questions, drop me a line via this thread or take a look at www.beaconrcc.org.uk

Incidentally, I ride out from near Stourbridge myself, being located in Drayton near to Belbroughton.
  • There is also the Midland Monster starting in Rosliston on May 17th. RUn by the same guys that organise the Forest of Dean Classic in conjunction with CC Giro.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    You could come along to Stourbridge CC, we do most of the local sportives and audaxes, many diferent ways you can enjoy your bike riding; lots of enthusiasm and guidance. This Sunday we ride the reliability ride from Bobbington to Newport. Check us out http://www.stourbridgecyclingclub.com
  • cheers for the help.
    i was going to contact one of the ride leaders from stourbridge cc to see if i could come along for a ride on 1 of the days.
    i'll just have to find the right day.
    exercise.png
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Fantastic. We'll look forward to hearing from you.