Any routes near any train stations?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited February 2009 in Routes
Ok, I've kinda decided to put the bike on a train (starting at bristol temple meads) in pursuit of a new trail on the weekend.

What I'm after is a trail like Ashton Court/Leigh woods etc near a train station (I think 2-3 miles away max)

I was thinking of something like wales or maybe weston super mare.

I don't want to spend no more than an hour and a half on the train and I think a ticket budget of £12 return.
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Dicot/Pangbourne ain't bad.

2 mins from Pangbourne Station to decent trails.

10 mins from Didcot to the 'downs'
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you don't mind going further afield you could get the train to Edale (an adventure in itself) and ride Jacob's Ladder
  • projectsome
    jacobs ladder seems pretty good but 4 hours on the train. I'd have to get to the train station for like 7am to get a decent day out.
  • Same here, I've been checking OS maps for trails near stations as I'm planning to get to places from Bristol Parkway.

Crosskeys is a station just a mile or so from Cwm Carn trail centre, takes about hour and half from Parkway, I'm gonna check it out probably on 18th Feb, weather permitting. If it works out, I'll make it a regular trip.

Also been looking at places in the Cotswolds, when i find anything suitable, I'll put it on here.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Machynlleth station is quite well placed for the Mach and Climachx trails, dunno how much hassle it is from Bristol. Llandegla is just about in range from Wrexham (although it's not a great road to ride on) but again could be a pain getting to Wrexham.

Maybe somewhere in the Brecon Beacons?
  • projectsome
    MrChuck wrote:
    Machynlleth station is quite well placed for the Mach and Climachx trails, dunno how much hassle it is from Bristol. Llandegla is just about in range from Wrexham (although it's not a great road to ride on) but again could be a pain getting to Wrexham.

Maybe somewhere in the Brecon Beacons?

£60 return. that's quite alot just for a bike ride. think thats something to persuade mates to get in a car.

there isn't a train station near brecon beacons
  • projectsome
    Hanham woods is quite close. had a look at some vids on youtube. looks pretty good (most of it looked suited for full suss though but i'm sure there's enough suitable for hardtails)

downside is it's 3 miles from keynsham station
  • Powers
    Powers Posts: 86
    How about Abergavenny.
    Then doing a circuit around the Blorenge and/or the Suger loaf.
    Also if your fit in the summer you could pick up the Grwyne Fawr and Grwyne Fechan circuit after around 8 miles riding, which can be done via a short cut over the Suger loaf or a stint on the road. (nice quiet roads). This would be around 30 miles.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Port Talbot? Can ride to Afan/Glyncorryg(sp?) from there and if you book in advance I'm sure it would be nice and cheap. Loads of nice Welsh hills in between the town and the trail centres too