SPD's or not

johpat
johpat Posts: 39
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
hi,

I am toying with the idea of changing over to SPDs, I used old cleats around 20 yrs ago and because my feet were "locked" in one position I got problems with pins and needles and strained tendons. I notice that while riding my feet, ankles and knees "wander", because of this I have used flats ever since. Can you set SPDs to allow "play" so that my feet, ankles, knees can move around without straining them?

Thanks in advance!
John

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Time/Look/Crank Bros pedals have more float than SPDs but even so if you have a history of knee probs you will be better off with flats. The release tension is adjustable on SPDs but it doesn't affect the float.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    From the sounds of it you're never going to get on with spds, I'd buy a decent pair of flats like the wellgo MG-1 (around £30 from ebay) and some new shoes and socks!
  • The other thing is, if you have a tumble in SPD's there's got to be more chance of tweaking your knee than with flats, and you don't nead (kneed!) that.

That said if you can find an optimum positional setup in SPD's you know that you're going to be in that position every time. Part of my problem with flats is that me feet wander around and that sometimes affects my knees.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • good platform (flat) pedals with 5-10 MTB shoes ;)
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • F0R7UN3
    F0R7UN3 Posts: 161
    good platform (flat) pedals with 5-10 MTB shoes ;)

I'll second that. five10s and a set of good flats will have you set. So much grip you'll think your running SPD's.

Pedals wise, have a look at something like straitlines or Eastons ( about 60-80). Or if you can afford it you could get a set of Burgtecs ...but they will set you back £150.
    Pinkbike Username = Fortune
    Bikes: Santa cruz v10 and Gt ruckus uf
    v10 = http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2834474/