Cafe stop nosh

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
What's your favourite on the half way stop on a winter ride?

I like beans/jam on toast. Mind you the Cafe at Elton in Derbyshire do very nice pea and ham soup with a brill granary roll, luuuuuuuurvley. :D
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I'm not a member of a club and the vast majority of my riding so far has been on my own so even though it pains me to do so I have to admit to only ever making one cafe stop.

I had a mug of tea and a choccy muffin. :D
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Sorry, I was :lol: at the title.
    Your cafe does 'extras' ? :wink:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The term Nosh does appear to have acquired an altogether different meaning for the younger generation.

To the innocent and elderly like me it conjours up an image of a full english breakfast and a mug of tea. When I mention it in teenage company it induces either sniggering or the urge to run away and disown me.

I know which one I'd rather have first thing in the morning, and it would involve judicious use of brown sauce!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Forr clarity, that's the breakfast then.
  • pugwashcp wrote:
    I'm not a member of a club and the vast majority of my riding so far has been on my own so even though it pains me to do so I have to admit to only ever making one cafe stop.

I had a mug of tea and a choccy muffin. :D

TBH, I do 98% of my riding on my own and seldom have a cafe stop, I just thought I'd start a new thread. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Most of my riding is on my own but always involves at least one cafe. Usually sandwiches, jacket spud or beans on toast, and something yummy from the cake counter.

Oh and Peak District cafes do good hot chocolates. They kept me going on a very hilly 70 miles a couple of years ago :D
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Normally sausage and bacon sandwich or roll, with brown sauce of course.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    My vote goes to The Hunny Pot Tea Room at Beehive Farm in Roliston. I regually go for beans on toast, coffee and coffee and walnut cake. Good value for money too - the coffee, which comes with a chocolate, is £1, and the generous slices of cake are £1.25.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Beans on toast was the dish of the day for me. Washed down with a mug of very sugary tea!
    Not sure what the other customers used to think , especially as sweaty undershirts were quickly changed before heading off out into the wilds again! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...the cafe at Stisted in Essex is the best...a dry towel when it's raining, a very friendly welcome for cyclists and 10% off if you arrive by bike...the cakes and homemade energy bars are second to none... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I have crawled into the Eureka near Chester at the end of many a tough day and left a short while later suitably refreshed :D

I remember once thinking healthy and nutritious and getting a jacket potato and beans. Just after it arrived a whole table-load of cyclists turned up and got lovely looking fry-ups. My spud suddenly didn't seem so appealing :D
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    keef66 wrote:
    Forr clarity, that's the breakfast then.

That's a relief- I thought you had a slight peversion on the go there
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    keef66 wrote:
    The term Nosh does appear to have acquired an altogether different meaning for the younger generation.

To the innocent and elderly like me it conjours up an image of a full english breakfast and a mug of tea. When I mention it in teenage company it induces either sniggering or the urge to run away and disown me.

I know which one I'd rather have first thing in the morning, and it would involve judicious use of brown sauce!

Reminds me of the time my octagenarian mother went to the LBS in search of matching accessories for her grand-daughter's new bike.

I kid you not, she asked the guy if he could show her a purple helmet! :shock:

None of us has ever told her why he was so shocked. Just can't even begin to explain!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iain_j wrote:
    I remember once thinking healthy and nutritious and getting a jacket potato and beans. Just after it arrived a whole table-load of cyclists turned up and got lovely looking fry-ups. My spud suddenly didn't seem so appealing :D

I've never seen the attraction of a fry-up, and the thought of having one in the middle of a bike ride makes me want to puke.
  • finchy
    pneumatic wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Reminds me of the time my octagenarian mother went to the LBS in search of matching accessories for her grand-daughter's new bike.

I kid you not, she asked the guy if he could show her a purple helmet! :shock:

None of us has ever told her why he was so shocked. Just can't even begin to explain!

My current job is just casual work, moving boxes of books. My Nan keeps telling me that humping boxes all day can't be good for me. :oops:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    keef66 wrote:

Lol, your misses quite open minded then is she? :lol::lol:
  • keef66 wrote:

Lol, your misses quite open minded then is she? :lol::lol:

As teenagers a friend regaled me with his last nights exploits and the moral was dont suggest toothpaste, whatever you do :lol: .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Teapot island, Yalding in Kent is good, flapjack and a milky coffee and they have a big teapot in the garden for you to admire. I reckon thats why its called teapot island.

And its next to a weir and a river and a little bridge.

Thats where the island part comes in.

Nothing gets past me, shouldve been a detective, like Starsky or Hutch. Or Frost, hes always in cafes eating.
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    It's great that Cumbria is scattered with cracking places to slurp good tea (often pints of it), cracking crumpets and uber fruity tea cakes with lots of butter and jam...the Watermill at Caldbeck is a good watering hole, not to mention Lakeland Peddler in Keswick (but not much cop if you like your bacon butties!) Always amazed me that i watched some of my cycling buddies devour a plate full of toast and monster tins of baked beans, followed my sticky toffee pudding and custard...fat barstools..still, it's a diet that got them up the hills! x
    i like bike
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Every time I go to the Salt Box cafe in Hatton (my home village) the place is packed with cycle clubs getting stocked up.

It's a trucker cafe during the week but every Saturday morning it's a bike cafe and the clatter of cleats is almost deafening :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    At my first cafe stop with a group of cyclists I was instructed that the only fare a cyclist could consume was a toasted tea cake. Apparently it had less calories than beens on toast, etc. My guru rather spoiled his advice by proceeding to slather on large quantities of butter and jam.

Tea cakes are nice though.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Never needed to stop at a cafe. I always take out ridiculous amounts of food with me and eat on the bike. :D
  • finchy
    The organic garden centre in Yalding, Kent does a fantastic crumble and ice-cream.