Cross the Thames to the east

Neil M
Neil M Posts: 20
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Just a quick routining question for anyone with local knowledge.

If I was planning a tour down the east coast then what would be the most easterly point that I could cross the Thames with a bike, to get from Southend on sea to Sheerness?

Are there any ferries here, or would I need to cycle into London before finding a bridge I could cycle over?

Thanks.

Neil

My bike may not look pristine, but if you had walked as many miles as I have ridden it then you would have very sore feet.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've not done it myself, but according to 50 Quirky Bike rides there is a free shuttle over the Dartford River Crossing. According to the book you need to dismount at the Essex Control building and wait for the transfer minibus. There's a free callphone if the control building is unattended (the number is 01322 221603).

The next river crossing from there is the Woolwich ferry.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    There's a Tilbury Gravsend ferry, though I've not used it for a couple of years.
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    andymiller wrote:
    I've not done it myself, but according to 50 Quirky Bike rides there is a free shuttle over the Dartford River Crossing. According to the book you need to dismount at the Essex Control building and wait for the transfer minibus. There's a free callphone if the control building is unattended (the number is 01322 221603).

The next river crossing from there is the Woolwich ferry.

You can definitely cross at the Dartford River Crossing. We used it last year on our way back from the London to Southend ride. Just rock up at the control building and ask for a lift. You may have to wait 10 - 15 minutes depending on what the vehicle with the bike rack is doing.

This should help:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4075.aspx
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"