How do I make my bike go faster?

Banned!
Banned! Posts: 34
edited January 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Ive been riding for a while now, but i cant seem to make my bike go very fast. I have put some pretty fast looking and lightwieght parts on it, but it still refuses to get any sort of decent speed up.

I see other people on thier bikes (some much heavier and less stealth than mine) and they seem to be able to go faster than me. I get on the bike and push off, but after only a few feet it just stops and I have to begin the whole process again. this can be tiresome after an hour or two and its getting to the stage where its simply not worth the hassle.

am I missing something?

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i would say ya tyre pressures may need to be higher mate.

i run mine at about 60psi and i can pick up some good speed. i have 2.2 moto tyres aswell.
  • Hi its interesting you say that coz I'm having the same problem ! My bike is slower than everone elses I have a B17 which is heavy, I rode a friends bike the other day who is quite up on bikes and he had nobby nic tyres made by shwalbe on it, not cheap but it made a real diffence up hill and down, he said that tyres and wheels were the most important for speed, hope this helps .

Russ
  • Best two upgrades are:

1: get fit (this takes silly amount of training)

2: get bike handling skills (this takes practice practice and more pratice)

For example these are people I work with.

Roger: raced triathlon for England and still does so. Often rides or runs to work and that is over 20miles there and back. Super fit guy and trains most days. But take him down a good DH and though he is bad he will suddenly look much slower and get warn out a lot quicker than normal.

Paul: though hes a out and out flat rider these days he did race DH for many years and though arguably he's not as fit as Roger (possibly not true these days) come to a DH run and he will leave Roger standing.

Oli: still fit though not as fit as them two he did work in the Alps and when it cones to rocks he can go as fast over them as he does on the flat. He is the king of rocks as he proved qualifying for the top Mega Avalanche final.

Then Me: I am not close to as fit as any of them above and have not got the rock skills of Oli but stick me on a BMX track or a 4X track and I will leave them all standing still. Jumps, Carving, Sprinting all what I like to do. I just went and go my self a all out XC bike so I can try and stay with them lot but to be honest its me and not the bike. After all Oli rides a bloody 7inch travel Orange as his XC bike! Dam wish i was fit :lol:
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    :lol:

Have you tried putting pressure on the pedals continiously when they are in front of the chainring? If that is difficult, it may be that you do not have enough gears, Perhaps you need a new chainset, chain and rear sprocket. If you buy a Shrampagnoface groupset it is really light and will help.

Alternatively try some different brakes. Maybe the rotors are too heavy to rotate and some thinner ones will help?
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Just remove the brakes altogether, sure fire way to build up lots of speed, plus makes the bike lighter too
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You could put a faster rider on it.

Dennis Noward
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I was wondering when you'd find it into here JC. This is just the place for your Tom Foolery.

Do you know what I'd do if I had your problem? Cover my bike in washing up liquid, or some sort of grease-associated product, then the wind drag you have now won't be an issue, Oh and do remember to put some in your eyes too.
  • I simply prefer to ride a moose through the forest...
  • David Lund wrote:
    I simply prefer to ride a moose through the forest...
    or if he really wanted to stay on the bike, i'd recommend attaching the moose to it.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    skinsuit :wink:
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Should have saved your money and found a cliff :wink:
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    have you tried using your legs to turn the pedally type things that are on end the crank arm thingies. Works wonders you know :roll:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • why not put them all together.

you would be pedalling properly, with a lubed up bike, in a skinsuit, on a clif and a moose on your bike :lol:
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    now youre just being silly.
  • The MBUK Sandbox
    homers double created this kingdom, Yeehaa's Kingdom now

sandbox is supposed to be silly :lol: