Should I set my bike on fire?

Banned!
Banned! Posts: 34
edited January 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Will this damage it?

should I use a low heat flame and keep it away from the rubber parts, or will it be ok to use a full heat flame once or twice, so long as i dont do it too often?

what sort of fire should I use?

Comments

• Yeah, it'll be fine, as long as you have a jet washer handy to put it out.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I'd suggest the huge blazing inferno type, the usual trick is to liberally coat your meat and two veg with petrol before the ride as well. It's err, safer that way.
  • Remember the Moses and the burning bush story in the bible....just repeat that trick and you'll be fine :wink:
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    that was my dad. he wont tell me how he did it though.
  • Any exposed aluminium will instantly will instantly react with even a relatively low temperature flame. Rubber as already mentions does not like fire as well. Ball bearing and fork seals for example will not put up with it for long. Personally unless its a bike you really are not bothered about I would not recommend setting it on fire. Or if your like me and get carried away you will just do it anyhow. :roll:
  • Is it a hardtail or full sus?
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Make sure you don't burn the seals around the forks or the bearings, its not only jet-washing that causes problems there.

Oh and a XCR fork just will not burn, no matter how hard you trry, its 'cos its so well made you see :roll:
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Use a lighter to set the bike on fire.

I once found a box of matches. After fishing them out of the puddle I was gutted to discover that not a single match would light, no mater how hard or quickly I rubbed them on the sandpaper bit which then fell apart into a gritty papery mush.

All matches are $hite.

Exept the top of the range ones but I've never tried them.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe