Hell of the Ashdown bike question

jimsten
jimsten Posts: 11
Apologies if this sounds a bit like checking out what clothes are best before heading down to the disco but I wondered what the general form is re bikes for the Ashdown.

Ie do people generally take the decent one or the winter clogger?

Comments

• Last year there were a reasonable amount of muddy and bumpy country tracks. There wasn't much bling about. Times were not that fast.
    But this year there are chips!
  • jimsten
    Chips yes that's what I was thinking.

Thething is I was around Box Hill on the Cayo (new wheels and bunch of other things) and it was lashing down which somehow makes bad roads even worse. All the time I was thinking why haven't I come out on the Tricross that's sitting in the shed at home. It kind of spoilt the ride really.

I guess if the weather's gone nasty it might be best to leave the nice bike at home.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    jimsten wrote:
    Chips yes that's what I was thinking.

Thething is I was around Box Hill on the Cayo (new wheels and bunch of other things) and it was lashing down which somehow makes bad roads even worse. All the time I was thinking why haven't I come out on the Tricross that's sitting in the shed at home. It kind of spoilt the ride really.

I guess if the weather's gone nasty it might be best to leave the nice bike at home.

Roll out you best kit - it's a chance to mingle with other mentalists dress in lycra trying not to look bothered that there baby is dirty.

Yes i'll be there, white bike, white bar tape & white saddle what could possibly go wrong :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I will be using my best bike (then again it is my only bike), as above white saddle, and white bar tape, then again I have used it all winter on club rides, so it will be no different to that really.

Just clean it when you get home.
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    What's wrong with using your 'best' bike? You paid for it, so use it! just clean it!
  • jimsten
    Ok - best bike it is.
  • asjc
    asjc Posts: 103
    the weather is supposed to be sunny so hopefully no salt, last year there were lots of best bikes out, i'm taking my best and strapping on some guards if need be.
  • Weather forecast for Sunday is sunny but only 4 or 5C.

Two questions please.

What is a reasonable time to aim for?

How does this ride compare with the Surrey Hills? I have done a few 80 milers out there and back but can't get in more than 1,000m of climbing in the time I am allowed out of the house, so slightly concerned that the extra 1,000m on Sunday is going to be hard.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I did the route a week ago and some of the lanes are ripe for a puncture but we managed to get round without any incident. Lovely route and if the rain holds off it should be a nice ride.
  • Hard to say what is a decent time, depends on the conditions, your ability and whether you want to ride at optimum or maximum, in a paced group or solo. Subjectively I would guess 4 hours.

It's like the Surrey Hills except that in places on the route the climbs are spaced a bit further apart and there are fewer really narrow roads where on-coming cars might be a danger. Be careful of your speed on the descent of Toys Hill, especially if it's a frosty morning.
  • Hard to say what is a decent time, depends on the conditions, your ability and whether you want to ride at optimum or maximum, in a paced group or solo. Subjectively I would guess 4 hours.

It's like the Surrey Hills except that in places on the route the climbs are spaced a bit further apart and there are fewer really narrow roads where on-coming cars might be a danger. Be careful of your speed on the descent of Toys Hill, especially if it's a frosty morning.

That's helpful thanks - glad to hear there'll be a bit of respite twixt hills and that I only need to get round in 4 hours :wink: ... that doesn't leave much time for lunch :cry:
  • SBezza
    E-mail the Catford CC to see what sort of pace the broom wagon will be going at. 4 hrs will be a quickish time to be honest, and no doubt people will still be coming in after 6hrs + of riding.

Anyhow lunch is on the run, the only time I will stop will be at the top of Kidds Hill for some food and more water. Might stop at the next feedstation, depends on how I feel when I get there.
  • asjc
    asjc Posts: 103
    the forecast is getting worse with 25 mph winds threatened, i knew i shouldnt have threatened to take my best bike-back to the old ciocc i think!
  • SBezza
    Yes it will be cold and windy, though the roads should be fairly dry. There might be a light frost according to the weather report on local news this morning, but hopefully there shouldn't be any rain from now on, so hopefully no ice.

If the very worst does happen it will be wintery showers later in the day.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited January 2009
    Was riding some of the route Tuesday and some of the lanes are truely awful after the rain we had. Lots of debris and mud on them. Also lots of running water across roads.

Weather now saying will feel like -8 very nice!
  • phreak
    Says 2 degrees on the BBC weather site. As long as it's not icy I don't really mind.
  • SBezza
    The wind chill will be more like -7 though. The roads around here were not too bad this morning, some very slippy, some perfectly fine, but it was just frost so should go pretty quickly.

I think people will have to take care especially at the start, but hopefully should be very rideable still.
  • phreak
    I did most of the route a few weekends a go and there were a few remote lanes that were very wet, even on a dry day. I'm hoping they don't ice up.
  • itboffin
    I have a question for those of you that have already done the route, what gearing did you run?

Double, triple or compact?

I'm not a fan of my 50/34 compact and would prefer to run double if humanly possible, I have a small rear mech so limited to 12-25 cassette.

Thx
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gazzaputt
    I ran a 39/53 upfront with a 12-25 rear.
  • no way - last weekend around that area it was all black ice and we had to abandon the club run
  • itboffin
  • Gazzaputt
    Few weeks back did the WKRC in the same area in freezing conditions. It was farcical with the ice saw lots of accidents and you couldn't get any rhythm going.

I'll decide if to ride Sunday morning when I go to the shed to get the bike and look at the thermometer.
  • yeah I did the wkrc too, was interesting to say the least. At least you could see the ice, last weekend was far worse.

I've given up on it, the thought of going down hogtrough in icy conditions, no thanks
  • itboffin wrote:
    I have a question for those of you that have already done the route, what gearing did you run?

I ride 39 x 26 as lowest possible, but I'm local so know how to pace the route.

If it's obviously really icy then I will forget the stupid test climb start and instead ride up the main B road from Biggin Hill towards Westerham and head over to Sundridge and the Brasted/Toys Hill climb from there, rather than risk an icy Hogtrough lane descent from the top of Cudham lane. At least the B road will have been gritted.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    dave milne wrote:
    yeah I did the wkrc too, was interesting to say the least. At least you could see the ice, last weekend was far worse.

I've given up on it, the thought of going down hogtrough in icy conditions, no thanks

Hmm. I'm less enthusiastic about this after dave's post. Never ridden in the area before and don't fancy the sound of this.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • If I were you i would take the chance and go for it. I do reliabilty rides around there every year and it is rare that the roads are totally unrideable. Just don't expect to do a superfast time.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If I were you i would take the chance and go for it. I do reliabilty rides around there every year and it is rare that the roads are totally unrideable. Just don't expect to do a superfast time.

:lol: Yeah, that was never on the cards for me.

Ok. Cheers for the advice. Am going to keep an eye on the forecast.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    If I were you i would take the chance and go for it. I do reliabilty rides around there every year and it is rare that the roads are totally unrideable. Just don't expect to do a superfast time.

:lol: Yeah, that was never on the cards for me.

Ok. Cheers for the advice. Am going to keep an eye on the forecast.

MTFU - Don't even think about pulling out, even if you have to walk. :evil:

Edit: I'll have to revise my layers it's gonna be COOOOOOLLLLLDDDD

Still can't make up my mind about the double or compact
  • Gazzaputt
    Compact!!! If I had the choice I would.

Damn why could have the ride been today it's lovely riding weather. Not a sign of frost or ice.