gear shifting problem

soy_sauce
soy_sauce Posts: 987
edited January 2009 in The workshop
All,

Since last week...( or maybe the week before when i came off th ebike on an icy road) my bike seem to have problem with the Rear Derailleur. it working prefectly when i shifting to a higher gears but everytime i try to shift it to a lower gears, its no longer response within a couple of seconds. sometimes it take up to 30+ seconds before it completed the gear shifting but by then i would have been half way up hill..

first thing it ring my bell with be my Rear Derailleur is bent but surely that would effect shifting to a higher gear too, am i right?

Regards,

henry
"It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Take it into your lbs and get them to check the hanger is still straight, mechs are pretty tough due to being springy, more likely you've bent your hanger.

Indexing is often affected only one way, it's like having the cable tension too high, shifts up really really smoothly, but doesn't drop down enough to properly throw the chain down.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    All,

Since last week...( or maybe the week before when i came off th ebike on an icy road) my bike seem to have problem with the Rear Derailleur. it working prefectly when i shifting to a higher gears but everytime i try to shift it to a lower gears, its no longer response within a couple of seconds. sometimes it take up to 30+ seconds before it completed the gear shifting but by then i would have been half way up hill..

first thing it ring my bell with be my Rear Derailleur is bent but surely that would effect shifting to a higher gear too, am i right?

Regards,

henry

Have you checked to see if the rear derailleur hanger is bent?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

If it's okay then you might just have a little cable stretch, locate the cable adjuster and slowly start turning it whilst you turn the cranks, then shifting up & down until both are quick and smooth.

A bike stand and an extra pair of hands really would help.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.