Portsmouth

clydesdales rule
clydesdales rule Posts: 3
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
I will be visiting family in Portsmouth and need some advice.
Can you suggest a good route for a day ride of 100kms.
Are there any good rental bike shops around vs shipping my own bike?
Thanks,
CR

Comments

• Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    I do not live in that part of the world any more - so others will be able to give much better advice on hiring stuff. However when it comes to good cycling you are spoilt for choice when it comes places to ride.

Here are a few suggestions:-
    - Pompey to the new forest (Lyndhurst) and back would be a good 100K run
    - A tour around the Isle of Wight would be (I guess) about 50K
    - Closer to Pompey you have Wickham, Curdridge, Botley, Bishops Waltham (West from Botley you hit Hedge End which is the Eastern edge of the Southampton urban area - so I would not go much further West than Botley but bear north towards fair Oak). The Meon Valley (East & West Meon and Meonstoke) are all worth including on a ride.

- You could take minor roads to Chichester and Bognor Regis and follow the coast through Worthing to Brighton and the South Downs

If you like hills you could go north from Chichester and over the downs to Midhurst or Petworth. You could also go to Portchester (nice old castle there) and westward over the Portsdown hills.

Going North West from Southsea/Gosport (next to Southampton Water) you have Lee-on Solent, Stubbington, Warsash and Hamble (lots of nice yachts to look at.). Another attraction here is that you are next to the seaside - but it is relatively sheltered due to the windbreak to the south (aka The Isle of Wight).

Throughout the area there are lots of pubs which will serve decent food and drink. I am sure there are also plenty of cafes but, again, others will be better able to advise for tea and sticky bun type places.

You do not say when you are going, how long you'll be there, where you are going from or how you are getting there.

If you are going soon I would keep a close eye on weather forecasts with regard to wind and rain. Avoid the coastal areas if is going to get windy and/or wet. The prevailing SW winds can get unpleasant - especially in exposed coastal areas.

If you are going to be there long enough it may be worth contacting a local cycling club (e.g. racing or local CTC group) for advice or possibly even joining in for a ride or two. Depending on where you are travelling from you may find that taking your bike with you could be a help or a hindrance. Think about the bits where you have to change transport - would it be easier (for example) to cross London with your luggage by bike or by Tube?

Hope this helps - enjoy your cycling there.
    Best of luck and have a good great time.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The classic!

The Isle of WIght Randonneroute

Nip across on the Ferry - have a spectacular and diverse day out then back in the evening.

Bike hire is negligible.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I thought you'd point him at one of Pam's Denmead audax routes.....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • there are some great rides just north of the city. just head for the likes of southwick or denmead, and discover them, most main roads will always point back to the city.
    the CTC have rides from Cosham libary on a sundy morning (not sure of time) Fareham wheelers meet at wickham square at 09:00 on a sundy for a short and longer ride (longer about 50 to 60) depending on the size and who's in the group. check out their web site http://www.fareham-wheelers.org.uk/ and post a question and someone will reply, there is also some mid week rides that some members do depending shift patterns.
    but if that doesn't take your fancy, just take a quick look at a local map and get out there and do it, you'll be suprise how many quite country lanes there are so close to a over crowded city like pompey there is.
    you'll probally see me out.

:)