Does anyone know where the Colnago EPS is made?

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone on this forum know where the Colnago EPS is made? I hear such a mixed bag of comments, its hard to know the truth. Are they 100% made in Italy? Cheers

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    The EPS is made in Italy...the other newish carbon with integrated headset frame, the CX-1, is made in Taiwan.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    The EPS is made in Italy...the other newish carbon with integrated headset frame, the CX-1, is made in Taiwan.

How do you know, have you visited the factory?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's pretty well known that the CLX is made in Taiwan - they made a deal of it at the launch - it's not like someone is trying to cover it up or something. Lets face it - taiwan has more experience than any other country in building up carbon bike frames (or aluminium for that matter!)
  • As a general rule which has few exceptions:

Lugged carbon frames are made in Europe (Italy in the case of Colnago) but carbon monocoques are all (without excpetions, I think) made in Taiwan. Essntially Colnago sends the drawings to a company which manufatures for them, for Cervelo and for everyone, really.
    This does not mean monocoques are bad quality, the technology they have there to manufacture has no equal anywhere in the world.

The EPS is a lugged system, it's made in italy, the CLX is a monocoque, hence Taiwan
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The tubes are probably made in Taiwan as Giant have a stake in Colnago. the lugs may be made in Italy and the bike is built in Italy.
    M.Rushton
  • Rob Sallnow

How do you know, have you visited the factory?

Jesus Christ! :roll:
  • It's nice to see that taiwan is getting over it's poor reputation for composites. It's like Japan + electronics... now they are both world leaders in their respective fields of expertise.

Lugged carbon frames are made in Europe (Italy in the case of Colnago) but carbon monocoques are all (without excpetions, I think) made in Taiwan.

I'm under the impression my 2004/5 Bianch Mega Pro XL Carbon is an exception. "Handmade in Italy" according to the Reparto Corse sticker. I interpret that as manufactured in Italy, not just hand finished.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/04_xl_carbon_chorus.html

Lugged carbon frames are made in Europe (Italy in the case of Colnago) but carbon monocoques are all (without excpetions, I think) made in Taiwan.

I'm under the impression my 2004/5 Bianch Mega Pro XL Carbon is an exception. "Handmade in Italy" according to the Reparto Corse sticker. I interpret that as manufactured in Italy, not just hand finished.

Maybe in 2004 they were still manufacturing monocoques in italy, certainly not anymore. That said, I seem to remember that the EU law requirement to stick a "made in... " badge is that at least 10% of the manufacture is actually performed in that specific country
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'm under the impression my 2004/5 Bianch Mega Pro XL Carbon is an exception. "Handmade in Italy" according to the Reparto Corse sticker. I interpret that as manufactured in Italy, not just hand finished.

Don't be so certain, the Handmade bit may very well just mean the final assembly.
    The Mavic bits certainly aren't manufactured in Italy.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Rob Sallnow

The Mavic bits certainly aren't manufactured in Italy.

Thank god for that!! :lol: