setup

bails_89
bails_89 Posts: 143
edited January 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right category but here goes.
I’m really struggling with my bike setup, I think I’ve got my seat at the correct height. But aren’t sure how far the seat should go forward or back. I have also recently had cleats which I think I’ve set up correctly. So that’s the technique bit over with(if you can call it that) if you have any tips or advice i would be grateful to hear them.

I just feel like my bodies falling to bits and I’m only 19! My left knee is in so much pain after a 20 mile ride. It hurts just above the knee on the front where the quadriceps just the knee(if you know what i mean) plus my groins been hurting for about 3 weeks.
I just want to feel fresh again but i really think that the bike setup is holding me back.

Would be great to hear any tips/advise
cheers
Its not about the bike....

Comments

• blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    Firstly the saddle position is dependent on how you ride, pushing the saddle back on its rails will improve climbing traction when seated or just overall front wheel traction, whereas shoving it forward on its rails will increase the weight over the back end of the bike making it easy to get the front wheel up and over obstacles, as for the sore groin i would look at the saddle you are using the soreness could be caused by the prostrate being squashed underneath you, to remedy this a cut-out saddle would be ideal or one with a pressure relieving groove, i am running the £20 charge spoon on my mountain bike and my the tackle is fine, also investing in some good bibshorts with a decent chamois would be essential .
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    knee sounds like quad tendonitis and if so the only way to get rid of it is to stop cycling until it no longer hurts, ibuprofen gel stuff is great. if the pain does'nt go away in a week or two then off to the doctors with you i reckon. once it's sorted i find a knee strengthening excercise works for me, holding onto the back of a chair just squating down only a little on one leg. a few reps of ten on each leg a couple of days a week cured my knee pain oh and knee warmers.

for saddle position i read on a few websites you need to have your knee inline vertically with the centre of the pedal (right pedal at 3 o'clock if you get what i mean) and saddle height with the pedal at lowest position you want some bend in the knee still there without any rocking of your hips while you pedal.

as for your backside you should be getting out of the saddle when things start to feel numb then when it feels better sit back down and repeat as necessary, you can't expect to stay seated for 20 miles. that's if you're not doing that course. saddle nose down a bit may help too just enough so you don't feel like you're sliding off it but this will mean your arms will be slighly more loaded so expect to feel that.

if the knee probs keep coming back only other thing it may be is the crank arms being too long for your knees, the standard 175mm was asking too much of my knees so i'm using 170mm and i find that better :)

sdg bel air rl is nice as is the charge spoon saddle, the bel air is a bit softer though.
  • is your seat up high enough, pain in the knees is usually a sign its not high enough,

the rest of the advice given above is also really good, your LBS should be able help you get it set up properly.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!