pls gear gods help

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
i have had my GT avalanch now for about 6 month i bought it second hand and have never had a problem with it. i ride it on avarage 150 mile a week in and out of work.

About a month ago being the 32 year old kid i am i went onto a BMX track and came of. I thought i hadnt damadged the bike till the chain started slipping. this happend with in 24 hours of the of. I thought it may of been a kink in the chain as it seemd to do it in the same place on the top gogs and again in other cogs. so i had the chain replaced and this got a hell of alot worse the bike shop put this down to wear on the front rings.soi had these replaced this still did not sort the slippingout so they replaced the rear cogs. when he was doing the work he saod it looked like i had bent the rear mech and he said he straitend it and said it would be fine.

a week and a half passes and ping the chain snapped (shimano). brand new chain down the drain. so i put the bike into a difrent shop and ask them to fit a new chain and to service the gear. this was saturday. riding home from work tonight the chain starts slipping again. this is realy doing my head in now as its a new chain new rear cogs and new front rings.

i aint no bike techy person but i had a loon and if i peddle the chain round slow by hand it seems to pull the mech alittle in the same place every time in the same place if that makes sense.

the only option i have now is to replace the mech as maybe the fall did fook it on the impact.

can any one help.

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Replace the mech hanger, bending them back is really only a temporary fix.

Replacing the chain, rings and cassette sounds about right, considering you are doing 150miles a week.

Where did the new chain break ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    not sure were it broke mate at that ponit i was on a busy round about and thought it best to leave it in the road. lmfao i wanted to live lol. the guy in the new shop fitted a Sram and said tostay clea of shimano chains as if done wrong they do come apart.

so i may not of bust the mech just bent the hanger. or should i change both.