Trek EX8 - slipping chain

stuartg
stuartg Posts: 20
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Bit of help needed........I have a 3 month old Trek EX8. Its the 09 model and apart from one thing its been great. The gears are slipping and jumping. Its not only under pressure and can be on the flat. It jumps on the rear cogs from one gear to the next without the touching the shifter. Obviously, up a steep hill this is a pain in the @rse!
Could it be that the chain needs some lube or someone has suggested the cables could be sticking?
Any thoughts welcomed as its begining to get me down a bit now!
EX8 Rules

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Could be either:

1. Cable stretch- adjust tension on barrel adjuster on the shifter think it`s anti clockwise to tighten
    2. Dirty cables- check the video on the homepage.
    3. Bent Mech Hanger- try to straghten but ideally replace
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I'd say its time for its first free service (which quite a few bike shops do). Which consists of a bolt check and adjusting the gears.

-Is the drivetrain clean and free of any debris ?
    -Have you lubed the chain and cables after each ride ? (Your drivetrain should be almost silent, if its sounds like its grating, it needs attention)
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Mine did this on steep hills. Is because the cables are brand new and stretching a bit.

Have a play with the barrel adjuster on the bars, soon sort it. If not, as mentioned above, take it for it's 1st free service and get the mechanic to show you how to sort.