Weird Grinding...

Noizetek
Noizetek Posts: 98
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
O.k so this is the second time I have ventured out on my Kona Blast Deluxe and when I got home and cleaned it up, I noticed that when you are spinning the back wheel theres a weird grinding sound of metal on metal...seems to be coming from the brake discs....thought it may just be grit and crap in there but has got me proper paranoid now! Any ideas??

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    It's probably just that - grit and crap.

Have a blow between the pads and see if that helps - if not, go for a short ride and apply brakes gently to see if eventually that stops it.

Sometimes just water in there can make a noise so it may be a case of waiting for them to dry (or go for a ride and warm the pads up).

BJB
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    What he says ^^

Mine sounds the same after a hosedown. I just ride it up and down the road to get the crap out.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Check your brake pads to see if they still have life in them and also for aligment.

This time of year bikes need a lot more maintenance with all the lovely grit/sand/mud doing its best to eat throough drivetrains, fork seals, brake pads.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Noizetek wrote:
    O.k so this is the second time I have ventured out on my Kona Blast Deluxe and when I got home and cleaned it up, I noticed that when you are spinning the back wheel theres a weird grinding sound of metal on metal...seems to be coming from the brake discs....thought it may just be grit and crap in there but has got me proper paranoid now! Any ideas??

Thats a very normal noise in the dark peak! Just make sure you give your bike a good clean- certainly gears, chain and brakes. The grit is finer than most sand, just as abrasive and gets everywhere.
    Also, make sure you bed the pads in. I've gone through pads in single rides up there without bedding in properly. Plenty of threads about it if you search....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....