Convince me NOT to buy another bike...

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Having sold three bikes last September, to make way for one, I'm now starting to wonder whether I did right selling the mountain bike even though it rarely got used. I can get one through the cycle to work scheme, so it would be half price, and my wife is happy for me to go ahead - but I still can't seem to justify it. The road is where I'd rather be so I'd only be buying it for the odd day at Cannock Chase messing about when the weather's really lousy.

Anyone agree it would be a waste of money, or is it just me being tight?
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    <slight edit- all your own words>
    Having sold three bikes last September, I can get one through the cycle to work scheme, so it would be half price, and my wife is happy for me to go ahead - The road is where I'd rather be so I'd be buying it for the odd day at Cannock Chase messing about when the weather's really lousy.
    It is just me being tight
  • Slow Downcp
    :lol:

I should point out that when I sold the three, one was purchased through the bike scheme, so this would be the second one since the three were sold.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bluecow
    Semantics...
    If you have to ask, do you really have to ask?
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    It's not a waste of money.

Now, can you think of any other reason not to buy one :?:

No, then buy a mountain bike.

:D
  • by your own addmision, you like the roads best and a mountain bike won't get used.

buying a new mountain bike would be silly, don't do it

but

a new road bike so the other can have a day off when it's tired..........
  • Slow Downcp
    heftyrider wrote:
    by your own addmision, you like the roads best and a mountain bike won't get used.

but

That's already covered - Kuota for dry, Enigma Etape for wet, and an old Raleigh 531c for fixed/depths of winter.

I definitely can't justify another road bike.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Well how about this?

I was very very tempted to get a Specialized Tarmac S Works SL2 08 model which was on offer for £3250 (an absolute bargain :shock: ) but bottled it at the last minute cos of this bloody credit crunch and increasingly dodgy job market :cry:

But you can pick up a reasonable MTB for around £300 (£150 on the C2W scheme) :D So just go for it :)

Hope that helps :wink:
  • bluecow
    heftyrider wrote:
    by your own addmision, you like the roads best and a mountain bike won't get used.

but

That's already covered - Kuota for dry, Enigma Etape for wet, and an old Raleigh 531c for fixed/depths of winter.

I definitely can't justify another road bike.

Sounds like you already answered your own question. You didnt seriously expect to come on a forum of bike enthusiasts and be told to not buy one, did you? <pat pat>
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Buy one but only a rubbish one then come and meet me over the chase so I've got an excuse to go over there. 8)

Only if you're rubbish as well though :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you flog the enigma and use the Raleigh more then you will have cash to improve the new bike fund and won't need extra bike space
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    A nice single spped or winter bike might be a good idea as you don't really want to get your nice bike dirty.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Slow Downcp
    FSR_XC wrote:
    A nice single spped or winter bike might be a good idea as you don't really want to get your nice bike dirty.

Got the Raleigh as a fixed already.

Pretty much decided not to buy another bike (surprised myself there) - probably change my mind next week and order something though!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Personally, I would spend the money on a big new flat screen TV and just watch racing.
    Much easier and think of all the beer you get to drink. You won't have to worry about training rides anymore(all that sweat and foul tasting drinks and bars). You will be able to afford the very best in junk food and top quality brew. No more worries about punctures
    in expensive tires, cracked mega dollar carbon rims, having to buy all the latest stuff even
    though you don't want too, no more road rash or broken collarbones. The reasons for
    not buying are endless.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    Personally, I would spend the money on a big new flat screen TV and just watch racing.
    Much easier and think of all the beer you get to drink. You won't have to worry about training rides anymore(all that sweat and foul tasting drinks and bars). You will be able to afford the very best in junk food and top quality brew. No more worries about punctures
    in expensive tires, cracked mega dollar carbon rims, having to buy all the latest stuff even
    though you don't want too, no more road rash or broken collarbones. The reasons for
    not buying are endless.

Dennis Noward

That makes so much more sense than I want it to :?
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    Since you are getting a bike through the C2W scheme 'you' are not buying a new bike, you are 'borrowing' it and will actually 'buy' it in 12 months time. So I say 'borrow' it for a while and then make your mind up :lol: