Trek 520 or Dawes Galaxy

ben_davies66
ben_davies66 Posts: 21
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Im planning a tour across N. America next summer and am trying to sort out which bike to use. Ive been at my LBS today trying out a bunch of bikes and the two that I was most impressed with were the '08 Trek 520 and the '08 Dawes Galaxy. The Trek felt more like a road bike while the Dawes felt slightly more sturdy and they both came in at roughlty the same price. My one worry with the Trek was with the gearing however the shop has said they will change the front rings so I will have the same gearing as I would on the Dawes. Also on the tour I will be carrying all my kit.

Basically it would be great to hear your feelings on both of these bikes and help me make up my mind in terms of which is most suitable

Comments

• I've not tried the Trek, but i've put a fair few miles on Dawes Galaxy's in the past. They are solid, study and reliable. Not a fast road bike but for putting in long touring miles they are difficult to beat. Frame material on the Dawes is better than the Trek - that would swing it for me.