decent films

OOtzen-Booty
OOtzen-Booty Posts: 116
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Can anybody recomend a good film????

I,m laid up with a porly wrist and in need of a good dvd.

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    just signed up to lovefilm last week, watched In Bruges, i really liked it. Now watching Once, shit camera work but great music.

also watched Inside I'm Dancing last night. very funny, very sad.

what sort of film you after?
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    In Bruges
  • McHattie
    McHattie Posts: 146
    +1 for In Bruges, plus The Bank Job. Both cracking entertainment.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    +3 (?) for "In Bruges" - watched it last night for the first time - a really good story in a "Pulp Fiction" sort of genre
  • watched trainspotters the other night and it was just great.

reservoir dogs is also good
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Kelly's Heroes
    Le Mans
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    ++ for 'In Bruges' and 'Once'.

On a more off-the-wall comedy level - 'Superbad'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not a film, but a series - The Wire - for the price of a film you get 12 hours of entertainment and there are 5 series - check out the reviews on Amazon
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Which wrist? That might determine the, err, genre ;)
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Not a film, but a series - The Wire - for the price of a film you get 12 hours of entertainment and there are 5 series - check out the reviews on Amazon

This is very, very good advice - The Wire is amazing (and seriously addictive) - you either love it or haven't seen it. Another +1 for 'In Bruge' too, but minus several million for 'Superbad' - there are insufficient words in the English language to describe how bad that film is! 'City of God' is one of my favourites, and 'The Lives of Others' is fantastic (subtitles though).
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    Black Hawk Down

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

In Bruges
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, the French Connection films and The Shining.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Anchorman
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Kelly's Heroes
    Le Mans

Great films. As is Superbad as Yogi suggets. On the same level as 40 Year old Virgin if you havent seen it. Surely the biggest downside to watching In Bruges is Colin Farrell being in it. What a f***ing monkey!
  • If we're going to talk series:

Arrested Development
    Peep Show
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The Dark Knight - haven't been a big fan of recent Batman movies, but thought this one was very good.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    If you like skiing, I highly recommend 'Steep' - some amazing scenery and skiing in it.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Lagavulin wrote:
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Kelly's Heroes
    Le Mans

Surely the biggest downside to watching In Bruges is Colin Farrell being in it. What a f***ing monkey!

I hear you, brother.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    + 1 for Shawshank Redemption,

How about some golden oldies

Saw To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time last year-recommended

always liked the Third Man, Brief Encounter, Casablanca
    Cabaret.....Silence of the Lambs, and Remains of the Day

more recently, The Changeling
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Depending on your mood,you won't go far wrong with one of these.

Feel good:-
    Waking Ned
    On A Clear Day

Foreign:-
    Cyrano de Bergerac (Gerard Depardieu)
    13 (don't read the blurb on the DVD box first!)
    The Lives of Others
    Tell No One

Thriller:-
    Babel
    Heat
    Donnie Brasco
    21 Grams
    Mystic River
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • ogre
    ogre Posts: 50
    If you're going to do series then "The Sopranos" but start at the beginning or you start confused.

For films -
    Delicatessen
    Man on Wire
    Amelie
    Last of the Mohicans
    Fifth Element
    Touching the Void
    Dry and warm days - FCN - 2

Dark wet cold - FCN - 7
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pan's Labyrinth.
    V for Vendetta
  • Lagavulin
    Series-wise I thoroughly enjoyed The West Wing. The first 3 or 4 seasons penned by Aaron Sorkin was enthralling stuff. I've watched and own them all but they started to tail off. I first got into it while recovering from a hospital op and, despite being in my early twenties at the time, I thought they were brilliant.

Band of Brothers is also an inexcusable omission from a DVD collection.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Series-wise I thoroughly enjoyed The West Wing. The first 3 or 4 seasons penned by Aaron Sorkin was enthralling stuff. I've watched and own them all but they started to tail off. I first got into it while recovering from a hospital op and, despite being in my early twenties at the time, I thought they were brilliant.

Band of Brothers is also an inexcusable omission from a DVD collection.

+1 for the first 4 seasons of West Wing

If you need something less morally superior, seriously recommend Green Wing :D

Sopranos also a good choice.

Film-wise, if you're into Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and the like, No Country for Old Men was very good, too.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• One of my favourite films is a Boulting brothers film from the sixties called "The family way"

Stars John and Hayley Mills and Hywell Bennett.

Absolutely brill. For me what makes it more poinient is it was the last film I saw with my mum only a few weeks before she died unexpectedly.

In it John Mills utters the line to his son

"You might laugh at life now lad, but one day it'll make you bloody cry".
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • some recommendations:

The Lives Of Others
    Sunshine
    Remains of The Day
    The Pianist

far too many to mention here.
  • Lagavulin
    +1 for the first 4 seasons of West Wing
    Glad it isn't just me who thought it went downhill when Sorkin left. Still enjoyed seasons 5, 6 and 7 but they weren't of the same calibre.

Bullitt. I could watch the Mustang GT390 scream around San Francisco for probably half a day.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Lagavulin wrote:

Bullitt. I could watch the Mustang GT390 scream around San Francisco for probably half a day.

Great film, but did you notice the same VW beetle appearing driving down every street - common car I guess :wink:

My vote goes to City of God - a sensational film.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Lagavulin wrote:

Great film, but did you notice the same VW beetle appearing driving down every street - common car I guess :wink:

My vote goes to City of God - a sensational film.

The same one they over take 6 or 7 times? Hands up who doesnt turn the volume up during the chase? The Mustang is a lovely car granted, but the baddies always drove Dodge Chargers and thats what I wanted. Does anyone know if the horn always got stuck on when the car blows up in petrol stations? That would be quite annoying.