Adjusting hydraulic disc brake positions

MyNameIsDavid
MyNameIsDavid Posts: 53
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
How do I adjust the position of the disc brake for my bike. I own a 2008 GT Avalanche and want to adjust the back brake as there is a larger gap between one brake pad than the other. How do I move the disc so it is in between both equally as it is rubbing.

My brakes are tektro auriga comp.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to adjust the position of the caliper. It bolts onto a bracket - undoing the bolts you can shift the caliper.

Also some tips in the FAQ and workshop areas of this site.

Once you have it centralised, it will take a while to bed back in.
  • you dont move the disc mate. what you do is loosen the bolts holding the caliper to the frame then you need to activate the brake lever, as your doin the back you could use an elastic band or a zip tie or you could ask the missus to help. this will pull the caliper into the central position in relation to the disc. simply tighten up the bolts then release the lever. hope this helps
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    it takes two people to do that?

ive just been sorting my brake on my dh bike by myself
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Is there any FAQ on this anywhere as I'm really not sure I've been doing it correctly. I've used zip ties and untightened then retightened bolts and attempted to reposition the wheel numerous times failing constantly.

I'm not even sure if I loosened the caliper as I'm not completely certain what it is on a disc brake bike. Could someone expand on what the caliper is exactly as I've spent a good 20 minutes trying to find out on google.

Also, sorry for my total lack of knowledge on this subject, since this bike I haven't had one since the age of 10.
  • supersonic
    edited January 2009
    First things, did you get instructions with the bike/discs? If so they shopuld have a step by step guide.

If not, take a look here:

http://www.tektro.com/04support/manual.php

They can take some time to get right.

Is the rotor straight?

BR7370.jpg

The top black unit is the caliper. There should be (you can see one here plainly on the left, the other is hidden by the hose on the right) two caliper bolts which attatch it to an adaptor which bolts to the frame. The caliper bolts are the ones you loosen to move the caliper.
  • 20010.jpg

That whole bit it is the caliper
  • Thanks for the help. I didn't receive any manuals with the bike as I bought it second hand by the way, also the calipers were what I was loosening earlier to make the gap become even. I shall try it again later today and will report back to everyone.

Once again, thanks for the (seemingly obvious at times) help.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • I've made the disk brake central to the pads now and there is absolutely no rubbing whatsoever.

However, the brake is still not effective and the tyre can be easily moved whilst the brake is being held down. Do I need to bleed the brake or is there something else wrong with it?
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    how long have you had it? pads will need bedding in if you haven't had it long
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • I've had the bike for about two months. However when I bought it the bike was 10 months old and is officially about a year old at the moment. The pads haven't been changed I think therefore they don't need bedding in. The back brake was perfect until I took the wheel off and cleaned the bike about 2 weeks after I got it and ever since it has no worked correctly.
  • supersonic
    You havn't got oil on the pads have you? If so, they will be kanckered now!
  • I don't think there is any on there after just checking, just a bit of mud and the usual assortment of grit etc.
  • supersonic
    Maybe a pad change would be a good idea though. Start afresh, clean the rotor (with alcohol) and let a new set bed in.
  • Would it be possible to get pads tomorrow if I just walked straight into Halfords by chance? Or would they need to be ordered?

I will just clean the rotor and pads with methylated spirit tonight and see if it helps at all.
  • supersonic
    Halfords should stock them! But knowing them, probably not.

One of the Shimano ones fits too, Deore m525 (I think). Maybe someone can confirm.
  • 525 are the correct set I would of thought after searching through google for the last 10 minutes. I may just bite the bullet and buy them online and not be able to ride for another 5 or so days.

I just hope it will solve the problem and it's not that I need to bleed the brakes.