Tyre size silly question

Notnormal
Notnormal Posts: 132
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Hi there,

After having my tyre bead go (causing the inner tube to 'bubble' out the side of the tyre) and nearly coming off on Pentonville Road on the way home tonight I need a new tyre. My Spesh Sirrus has Jalco GX460 rims and currently runs 700x28c tyres. Firstly can I buy a smaller tyre (700x23c) and use it on that rim? And would that cause me a problem with the front still being 700x28c? Also what are the benefits of a narrower tyre? Thanks in advance,

Richard

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It will work fine.

A narrower tyre will have less rolling resistance (it will roll along faster), but at the expense of comfort (you'll feel the bumps more).
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I'd also check the rim - make sure it's not got a ding that has made the bead pop.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Notnormal
    Notnormal Posts: 132
    Thanks for the replies. I thought as I'm doing one I might as well do both so 2 new tyres and tubes on their way to me early next week. Hopefully slightly narrower tyres will let me knock a couple of mins of my commute time! I'll be sure to check the rim as well before fitting the new stuff.

Richard