hell of ashdown 2009

asjc
asjc Posts: 103
Does anybody have an entry they are not using for whatever reason-illness probably a goog one-I would be happy to reimburse you. Ta Adam

Comments

• Hi Adam. Sorry, I don't have an entry.

But I've done the route today – and it's BRILLIANT! Plus, I didn't have to pay anything. Have you considered doing this on another day?

Thanks very much to the guys at Catford CC for posting such detailed routes on their website. I didn't know there were so many bleeding hells in Kent!

There were loads of other people about obviously training for the big day.

One word of warning, though. I set off at just before 9am, and there was loads of ice about. As the route is mainly on unclassified roads, there's not much grit about. A couple of the descents were terrifying because of the slippy slidey stuff. If it's cold on the day, this could be an absolute nightmare.
  • asjc
    Ta for that, i did it last year and enjoyed it. I have a friend doing it so was keen to get a legitimate entry-my folks live in the next village so i will be out anyway-yes that ice, its the devil, have already been off this year already. Thanks Adam
  • Hi Adam,
    i have a place going i have pm you.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hey arse_neck did you by any chance record your progress, I've downloaded the 110k GPX file with the assent data is only 4000ft not the advertised 6600ft.

Quite a huge difference especially for someone as slow as me ;)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asjc
    Malcolm, thats great, i shall in turm pm you-took me a moment to assertain what pm is.
    Ta adam
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    itboffin wrote:
    Hey arse_neck did you by any chance record your progress, I've downloaded the 110k GPX file with the assent data is only 4000ft not the advertised 6600ft.

Last year was also advertised as over 2000m, but I made it 1565m (using Polar S726X, which is usually fairly close)
    Bikely had last year as 1361m, this year as 1510m

Not looking forward to it. In bad shape and took a drop on some ice in Surrey yesterday!
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    TheStone wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Last year was also advertised as over 2000m, but I made it 1565m (using Polar S726X, which is usually fairly close)
    Bikely had last year as 1361m, this year as 1510m

Not looking forward to it. In bad shape and took a drop on some ice in Surrey yesterday!

Thanks for that and yeh I'm really not looking forward to climbs, i'm not sure if prior knowledge is good or bad.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Seeing how the event is fully booked would it really be bad form to do the ride on the same day? It's not as if you are denying anyone a place or some money.
    Still breathing.....
  • TheStone
    hambones wrote:
    Seeing how the event is fully booked would it really be bad form to do the ride on the same day? It's not as if you are denying anyone a place or some money.

I don't think anyone would notice or care.
    I guess the limits are set by the police and/or insurance (and budget for the food stops)?
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    It clearly states in the agreement.
    After starting the ride the cyclist is on a private excursion on the public highway and we accept no responsibility for his or her conduct.

Make of that what you will.
  • Is there any easy way to get to the start by Train? Currently I'm looking at going to Orpington from victoria and cycling the 8 miles to the start, its a bit hilly though and I didn't really want to have to cycle much before the start!

Can you get a bike into a taxi?
  • itboffin
    Is there any easy way to get to the start by Train? Currently I'm looking at going to Orpington from victoria and cycling the 8 miles to the start, its a bit hilly though and I didn't really want to have to cycle much before the start!

Can you get a bike into a taxi?

That might not be a bad idea, it's good to warm up before the start esp. as it's straight into hills from the get go. Just take it very very easy.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I agree with itboffin, the 8 miles will be a very good warm up, don't have to go mad, just take a nice easyish spin to the start.

Looking at the map you could get off at the next stop on that line Chelsford, and cycle from there as it is a bit nearer.
  • TheStone
    Metcheck reckons it'll feel like -8C
    ... that's not good.
    exercise.png
  • gmillsy
    gmillsy Posts: 37
    On a similar question NUFCritchard, im probably going to be heading from East Clapham station for an 8.40 start. does anyone know the roads around there? im tempted to ride it for the warm up (and it looks like we'll need one in the snow), but a little wary of unknown roads in the dark/early morning. Is a warm mug of MTFU needed?
  • If you can, get to Bromley South station and ride from there down the A21 and turn right up Oakley Road heading straight on for a couple of miles until you reach Biggin Hill. Should take about 20 minutes max to ride it.
  • Due to the prevailing weather there has been a revised route to miss out some lanes with standing water that may be icy.
    I'll be marshalling and see you all on route :D

R/L/SO Into Road  ‘HELL of the ASHDOWN’ Challenge ‘110K’ (108.8K) Route Route
    No. 50K
    Miles 110K
    Miles
    Route changes dictated by anticipated weather conditions (30.01.09)

START Biggin Hill, Kent – H.Q. Charles Darwin School, Jail Lane 00.0 00.0
     L Leaving HQ – Jail Lane – Bear R – Down Berrys Hill – Climb Church Hill
    R At top of ‘Cudham Test Hill’ (Church Hill) – Dismount - CARE turning R 1.3 1.3
    Cudham – Cudham Lane – The Nower
    R Onto Hogtrough Hill – DANGER steep descent – CARE at X roads 3.5 3.5
    L Brasted – Station Rd/Church Rd - CARE turning L into High St. 5.1 5.1
     1st R Chart Lane – Brasted Chart - Toys Hill 7.3 7.3
    Toys Hill -DANGER steep descent 7.7 7.7
    R Into Green Lane – CARE at junction B2042 9.2 9.2
     L Four Elms X roads L Into Clinton Lane B2027 9.7 9.7
    Bough Beech – Over narrow bridge B2027 10.5 10.5
    50K riders bear left continuing on B2027 to take 1st Left into Bowzell’s Lane 11.0
    R 100K riders turn R at bridge exit into Hever Rd CARE 11.6
    Hever Castle 12.5
    R Follow Hever Rd 12.8
     L Edenbridge – Mill Hill B2076 14.7
    R Den Cross – Marsh Green Rd – CARE turning R B2028 15.3
    Marsh Green – Moor Lane B2028 16.0
     L At bend -To Dormansland – Plough Lane 18.5
     L Dormansland – ‘Hollow Lane’ (long/steep ascent) 18.7
    DANGER at sharp R hand bend at foot of Descent 20.8
     L Into Holtye Road A264
    R Into Edenbridge Road 24.0
    R Hartfield – At ‘T junction’ -High St B2110 27.4
     R Bear R into Gallipot Hill/Cat St continue on B2110 27.8
     L Coach Lane to Colemans Hatch where bear L 30.0
     L Kidds Hill – Hell of the Ashdown ‘THE WALL’ (long/steep ascent) 31.6
    R At T junction – Chuck Hatch Rd – CHECK / FEED B2026 31.6
     L Ashdown Forest – HALF WAY TURN – Long Descent down Black Hill B2188 32.5
    R At T Junction – CARE - Groombridge B2110 38.1
    Climb ‘Col de Groombridge’ (Groombridge Hill) (long/steep ascent) B2110
     L At T junction - Ashurst Rd A254 39.8
    1st R Fordcombe Rd - CARE B2188 39.9
    Fordcombe - After Fordcombe CARE on narrow bridge over R. Medway B2188
     L Penshurst into Penshurst Road B2176
     L At top of hill -Station Hill / Morden Lane
     L Chiddingstone Causeway – into Tonbridge Road B2027
    R Into Bore Place Road
     1st L Into Winkhurst Green Road
    Past Bough Beech Reservoir bearing left at next junction
    R At T junction into Ide Hill Road B2042
    Climb ‘Ide Hill(Groombridge Hill) (long/steep ascent)
    At top of hill – Ide Hill Village Hall Car Park on left – CHECK / FEED
     1st L Towards Ide Hill village
    R Ide Hill Village – R at Green/Roundabout 20.6 55.0
     R Fork R towards SundrIdge – Church Rd 21.3 56.1
    SO Sundridge - Straight overTraffic Lights into Chevening Road B2211 22.9 57.3
    exit 1 At Roundabout turn L into Star Hill Road 25.2 59.7
    Climb ‘Star Hill’ (long/steep ascent) 26.0 60.5
     1st L At ‘The Harrow’ 26.8 61.3
     1st L Knockholt Pound L at the village green into Main Road 27.0 61.5
     L At Scotts Lodge t junction L into Cudham Lane 29.0 63.4
    1stR Into Grays Road 29.1 63.5
    R At Hawley’s Corner (‘Spinning Wheel’) extreme R into Buckhurst Rd 30.8 65.0
     1st L Into Berry’s Green Road (care Potholes!) 31.6 66.0
     1st L At T junction then bear left at top of hill into Jail Lane 32.4 66.9
    FINISH HQ – Charles Darwin School on R in Jail Lane 33.2 67.6

(Mileage only approx due to last minute changes to route)
  • itboffin
    Interesting quote in cyclingweekly about the HOTA

"luckily the snow did not settle"

REALLY?

3245585552_95cb7dc207.jpg