Whats the best value track wheel for my hack bike?

mtbhenry888
mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
edited February 2009 in Road general
looking for a track or flip/flop rear wheel for my fixed hack bike, needs to be quite cheap, around the £50-70 mark, i don't care about the hub brand etc. just need a new rear wheel, CHEAP!

looking at the halo aerorage but can't seem to find anything else for the same money (£69.99 at CRC)

If anyone near me (winchester/southampton way) has anything going second hand i would be very interested

Thanks
Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got the Halo aerorage wheel on my Langster.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... k_281.html

£104 for a pair and only heard good things about them.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    I have in the past recommended On One hubs, I've just cleaned my commute fixed and the rust on the rear hub is horrendous, where as the front cheapo Fuji hub is in perfect condition...............
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Pete Beer wrote:
    I have in the past recommended On One hubs, I've just cleaned my commute fixed and the rust on the rear hub is horrendous, where as the front cheapo Fuji hub is in perfect condition...............

So.... is the rusty rear the OnOne and you are not recommending it anymore?
  • flashes
    flashes Posts: 229
    That is so.....................
  • You can screw a fixed sprocket onto any old pre-cassette freewheel thread and lock it with a bottom bracket lockring. 1.370 x 24tpi are the numbers.
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Steve Kish wrote:
    You can screw a fixed sprocket onto any old pre-cassette freewheel thread and lock it with a bottom bracket lockring. 1.370 x 24tpi are the numbers.

A friend once built a bike like that, with loctite too. I had the sprocket loose on a short test ride. I made a downhill stop at a junction, but nothing felt loose. Then as I set off the drive train clunked alarmingly. I jumped off and took a look and the "lock" ring had unscrewed about half a turn.

Not safe if you use your legs to apply any retarding force.

Oh and even if you do it you'll need to redish the wheel. On some wheels you'll end up with precious little thread on the spokes on the non drive side.
  • build your own...

cxp 22/23 whatever track hub your lbs has in, dt/sapim lightweight spokes, decent sprocket and build it up should be around £70 and if they do it right it'll be much stronger.