Smoking brakes

grynch108
grynch108 Posts: 2
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums. I'm 25, and I've just started biking for the first time since I was 10!

I'm really enjoying it, but I haven't got the first clue about my bike (i've had it about 2 months). I was out today coming down a steepish hill, and my mate told me there was smoke coming out of my back brakes. When I stopped, I could still see some smoke coming out the back. They've also been making quite a bit of noise (sort of a high pitched screech).

Is this normal or should I be worried!?

It's a 2008 specialized rockhopper with discs.

Cheers!

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if it's the first time they have been used, they probably got hot and gave off some vapours. this is normal on new brakes that have got really hot. you have now bedded the brakes in.

you may find that the brakes are better now and the squeaking has stopped. however, check the pad wear to make sure you haven't ground the pads down to the backing pate.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's also a chance here that you were dragging the brakes- a bad habit of mine as well, I often have the rear just barely dragging for comfort, when faced with a steeper section, it does almost no slowing but it soothes my nerves... And it does cook the brakes a bit. Fairly common I gather, I did the same on motorbikes when I was learning for that matter :oops:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    You'll sometimes get a puff of steam when water or mud splashes the rotors when they're hot. The hissing noise followed by the 'pink pink pink' noise lets you know it's steam and not smoke though.

Lots of disc brakes 'screech', even some well set up ones. Make sure they're aligned right and bedded in. I've read that copper grease on the back of the pads may help. Not tried it myself though. You could try different compound pads.

I find that noisy brakes and rear hubs are good for warning others you are there.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I must say, I've never heard of smoking brakes before!

Tell them it's never too late to quit, and to have a chat with their doctor.

(Seriously though, disc brakes that hiss steam of residue is more likely...)

KK.