Came Off Bike This Morning

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi Guys, learnt a very valuable lesson this morning, don't go out in the ice!

Haven't been out for a few weeks due to the cold weather, and was beginning to think that it was my mind trying to make excuses so decided to overpower what i thought and get back in the saddle and do some training and loose weight for the summer.

However, after about 15 minutes, luckily i was in lanes, i went around a corner and found some woman in the middle of the road/lane walking like penguins, next thing my bike slipped, i went 'ohhhhh', they looked around, i recovered but before i knew it hit another bit of ice and went straight down on my side and but luckily didn't hit my head as my shoulder took the full brunt....

The woman came rushing towards me to help and asked i'f i'm allright, but to be honest i was so embarassed that i literally flew up as quick as i went down and just brushed myself off.

One thing i'm very pleased about though, is its only my second time in clipless pedals/shoes, and was really pleased to find that they came out automatically as soon as i went down :D

I'll never be doubting what my mind tells me next time - Frost/Ice = No Riding! :D

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The important thing is you're not hurt, and I guess your pride did indeed come before the fall!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    LOTS of ice out there this morning, I managed to spin up The White Horse but I walked down Boltby, cars were failing to get up it was SO slippery. It was a good ride though, can't beat being out when it's frosty, good views and you're putting in a bit of effort to keep nice and toasty. :lol:

I don't mind the flat or uphill in the ice but downhill and bends scare the **** out of me.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I came off on Wednesday on my brand new Focus Cayo on its fourth outing. Just went over when I hit some ice. Luckily I was not hurt but more importantly the bike was not damaged. Gave it a good clean and very very close inspection but it was fine, not even scratched on the frame. I remember a thread about damaging carbon bikes and someone said it was the horns and gears that took the brunt and not the frame (usually) itself. The thing that most impressed me was that I do judo and just with out thinking rolled into the fall and almost stood up straight away. A women in a car saw all this and stopped if I was which I was, just my pride dented and felt a bit of a prat. Roll on the summer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was riding in to work this morning at 0530, about 15 miles in I was nicely warmed up and going fine, not seen any ice then BAM my bike went from under me on a roundabout at about 21ish mph.

It hurt.

Now got holes in the elbows of my Gore Tool windstopper, bruised hands, bruised and cut elbows, bruised an cut knee.

Front mudguard in knackered and right brifter bent.

Total cost of splashdown approx £250.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I had a tumble this morning too on the local club ride. 'Tis a bit hairy out there, take care everyone.
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    ive been using my mountain bike during the winter, much better for the cold weather, doesnt take as much salt damage either, i have yet to come off on ice, but i think thats just as much to do with the gritters as it is the bike :lol:

i cant wait for summer!!
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    Frost/Ice = No Riding!.....Dont agree :)

Frost/Ice = ....stick to A roads :wink:
  • Soni
    The important thing is you're not hurt, and I guess your pride did indeed come before the fall!

Yeah, my Mrs said to me when i came walking in that she's glad i'm not hurt and it happened in a lane, as i could have been killed if it happened on the road, she said lesson well learnt and to take HER advise next time as i never listen..... :?
  • Soni
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I was riding in to work this morning at 0530, about 15 miles in I was nicely warmed up and going fine, not seen any ice then BAM my bike went from under me on a roundabout at about 21ish mph.

It hurt.

Now got holes in the elbows of my Gore Tool windstopper, bruised hands, bruised and cut elbows, bruised an cut knee.

Front mudguard in knackered and right brifter bent.

Total cost of splashdown approx £250.

The money is a shame, but whats more important is you didn't get killed!

You are very lucky, especially on a roundabout, looks like somebody was looking out for you this morning..... :)
  • Soni
    r3 guy wrote:

I'll never go out again when its icy, no matter what type of road.

I want to start back at my club, as haven't been since before Christmas due to the weather, but not going to start back until its a little better on the roads, the nutters in cars are bad enough at the best of times, let alone when you have the road surface to contend with as well.
  • Soni
    To all, just be careful out there on the roads in this weather, you may only get one chance.

Also - my colleague at work is around 48ish, he is a cyclist, and was in Tonbridge high street last weekend and was nearly killed.

He was riding along minding his own, when he heard this bloke shout, he looked over to see this cyclist almost getting run over by a miny, next thing the other cyclist rides up against the window of the miney with his fist in the air, then the miny comes revving away at high speed towards my work colleague and hits my work colleague (sort of side swiping) and pushes him up against a parked bus and then sped off!!! Didn't even stop! It was a young woman driving he said.

Luckily he is allright, but his bike is knackered. She ended up bending his pedal arm right in (don't know the correct term) but the big metal arm that leads down to the pedal.....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ice? I didn't see any today and I was in the Peak district, inc the Cat and Fiddle, plenty of snow at the side of the road but no ice on the roads. It was pretty cold, and I'm glad there was no ice, especially with hitting 48mph on some of the descents today.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I've been out every weekend since Autumn. Worst day's was riding when we had snow/ice and major freeze just for good measure. We elected to go on MTB rather than risk the roads. Even so, the route took quite a number of minor lanes and roads. These were terrible. Yards and yards of sheet ice all over the road. It's a matter of riding slowly, not breaking or accelerating and keeping the bike straight.

Having said that, I find if you keep to the main roads, things are OK. You need to ride slower and watch out where there has been standing water in shady spots on bends (this freezes and doesn't thaw as quickly).

Winter roads are generally more treacherous with damp/wet roads, diesal, oil and mud all combining to create lovely road surfaces.

Don't let one fall put you off. My ride today was great: 66 miles; cold but dry. Much better than the turbo.
  • Anonymous
    r3 guy wrote:

Fail!

I was on a Dual Carraigeway, the A34.

At 530 this morning...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    r3 guy wrote:

Fail!

At 530 this morning...

A34 was fine at roughly 0900 today...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John C.
    Fully agree that health matters more than kit and I am lucky enough to have several bikes, I ride the hack with cheapish but good kit in icy conditions. If you can get out on the moors then do so, use a bit of common sence but it's brilliant out there the air is so clear it almost hurts to breath on the big hills.

• to bad, at least you're not seriously hurt.

I started riding at New Years and had a slip on my third time out (and third time on road bike)...lucklily it was a quiet corner near to the bottom of my local hill so I wasn't going very quickly so I was largely unhurt.. however the bike took a few scratches and I was gutted!!

I'm now like a snail around that corner....
    Nostaliga: It ain't what it used to be.
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    r3 guy wrote:

Fail!

At 530 this morning...

A34 was fine at roughly 0900 today...

Oh, well that's OK then! ;)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    A34 is a long road.....

Be careful...I generally avoid ice if possible...but I commute every day by bike, so one or a few missed days won't hurt.

There have been a number of folk on this forum that are 'off' the bike' for weeks because of ice falls..... just not worth it, especially in traffic.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    A colleage of mine went out over christmas and came off the bike due to ice on the road.He suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to wait 20 minutes for an ambulance, it was effing freezing he says. Even worse, his clothing was torn and damage to the bike was €600. Not a very merry christmas.
    Ademort :(
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    edited January 2009
    Me too - luckily on a slow and careful corner... obviously not careful enough this time.

I was on brand new tyres...

just out of interest does anyone know if there are release agents in the rubber moulds that need to get worn down, or is that just for F1 cars?
  • Thooms
    Thooms Posts: 66
    Yep, I had a pretty interesting experience on wednesday.

Was up at the crack of dawn (well, before it in fact!) to get some miles done without taking the whole day and it was -freezing-.

Did about 15-20 miles on the A377, came round a corner and some poor folks had had a pretty bad accident and their car had flipped on the ice. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt. I managed to get that far without actually coming off but it was seriously treacherous. Ended up hanging around at the crash for a few hours while we waited for the police/ambulance/fire service, then headed off back to Exeter. They'd re-gritted the road by this point so it wasn't icey, but coming through Crediton I had two punctures almost simultaneously!

Not a great day ;)

Never going out in ice again though, it's just too un-enjoyable to be constantly worried about losing it on the next bend.
  • John C.
    Winter is a time for change, we all go head down in summer and what a great feeling that is, BUT in winter you have to change your outlook, remember this is for pleasure, I'm not talking commuting or training for a pro race. Stick a different head on, forget the time, speed etc. and just enjoy. We are all fairly fit, so just get an old bike out and go up a few narrow country lanes that you've forgotten about. Look at the views, breath in the fresh air and remember what it was that got you into cycling in the first place and why. Above all , get out there and enjoy.

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been out riding every weekend this year, but because of the excessive rainfall on Friday, a heavy overnight front and by yesterday morning the roads were treacherous - even gritted roads were sheet ice in places. We abandoned the planned ride after 30 minutes and rode a few sections of through and off down the dual carriageway instead.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Soni
    neil² wrote:
    Me too - luckily on a slow and careful corner... obviously not careful enough this time.

I was on brand new tyres...

just out of interest does anyone know if there are release agents in the rubber moulds that need to get worn down, or is that just for F1 cars?

Funnily i was also on brand new tyres (only done 10 miles-Bontrager Hard Case) when it happened.....so you might be onto something there.....
  • Soni
    Thooms wrote:
    Yep, I had a pretty interesting experience on wednesday.

Was up at the crack of dawn (well, before it in fact!) to get some miles done without taking the whole day and it was -freezing-.

Did about 15-20 miles on the A377, came round a corner and some poor folks had had a pretty bad accident and their car had flipped on the ice. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt. I managed to get that far without actually coming off but it was seriously treacherous. Ended up hanging around at the crash for a few hours while we waited for the police/ambulance/fire service, then headed off back to Exeter. They'd re-gritted the road by this point so it wasn't icey, but coming through Crediton I had two punctures almost simultaneously!

Not a great day ;)

Never going out in ice again though, it's just too un-enjoyable to be constantly worried about losing it on the next bend.

What a bad day Toomm, roll on those brighter summer mornings with the birds whistling in the trees :D
  • Soni
    John C. wrote:
    Winter is a time for change, we all go head down in summer and what a great feeling that is, BUT in winter you have to change your outlook, remember this is for pleasure, I'm not talking commuting or training for a pro race. Stick a different head on, forget the time, speed etc. and just enjoy. We are all fairly fit, so just get an old bike out and go up a few narrow country lanes that you've forgotten about. Look at the views, breath in the fresh air and remember what it was that got you into cycling in the first place and why. Above all , get out there and enjoy.

Bloody hell John, are you a phsycologist or something, you've just motivated me as i was out riding through those lanes and breathing in that fresh air whilst i was reading those words of yours :D !
  • John C. wrote:

+1

I can agree with this :) Going out for a 60 mile ride yesterday was easily the most enjoyable time on a bike i've had since last August .. the country lanes of rutland / lincolnshire are excellent at the minute!
  • Anonymous
    Meh, if I take in the view and/or watch where I'm going I can't see my power output.

;)
  • Thooms
    Thooms Posts: 66
    The worst bit was not having time to get changed and going to uni in the lycras...

That was quite, err, embarassing :lol: