Alonso trains with Tour winner

GrahamGillooly
GrahamGillooly Posts: 66
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72939

I didn't know Alonso was such a keen cyclist!

Anyone else into F1 on here?

I think Fernando will be on the podium alot more this year, and also hoping!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think there are several F1 cyclists, Jenson trains on a bike in the mountains around his Monte Carlo home (will have more time for this now!); Mark Webber broke his leg in an mtb event in Tasmania last November. I think a lot of casual viewers of F1 would underestimate the fitness the drivers need, I would think they are all accomplished athletes in one way or another.

As for the coming season, based on last year I would agree, but the car changes this year will (hopefully) throw everything up in the air - we could see some surprising performances as some drivers cope better or worse with the new package. Should be good!
  • Yeah, i've heard Jenson was into triathlons aswell..
    Shame we didn't get to see him challenge Hamiltons claim of the 'fittest driver' on the grid.
    I've also seen a video of Raikkonen doing some mtb'ing and popping a wheelie iirc.

Can't wait for the new season, and as you said, hopefully it'll have alot of surprises!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    same on the motorbikes too - troy bayliss (World Superbike Champ) is a keen road cyclist and I think I remember an article about him training with fellow aussie Cadel Evans.

as alfablue says - F1 needs fitness and the bike will help them with their cardio fitness without the higher risk of injuries associated with impact sports such as running.
  • michael schumacher was also a keen wearer of lycra.
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    michael schumacher was also a keen wearer of lycra.

thats true - he was

and quite an athlete by all accounts - rather fanatical about it I believe - which probably summed him up - fanatical!
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Mark Webber is obviously a keen roadie but Alonso was news to me.

Certainly reckon Fernando will be on the podium more often in '09. As a driving talent his, like Michael Schumacher’s, is unquestionable. As a human being? That’s another matter.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Alain Prost has ridden every edition of l'etape du tour, I think, and still finishes pretty high up the field.

2006 event: http://www.letapedutour.com/2006/us/index.htm

"Our congratulations also go to Alain PROST who participated once again this year in the Etape and who finished in 207th place with a time of: 06 :59 :35" (the winner did it in 06 :00 :33)

And that was the infamous Gap - l'Alpe d'Huez stage!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    going to be a great year. I too love Alonso's driving style & think he will be one of the contenders this year.................. just wish he wasn't such an unlikable chap!