Stabbing (tv programme)

2»

Comments

• Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    I have my ideas, but what should be done in cases like this. A point needs to be made that this behavious is utterly unacceptable in society.... no point in blaming society in general for not giving the criminal help before hand etc etc.
    If you want to be part of society, play within the rules.

"The suspect in a gruesome knife attack at a …. creche last week was accused on Monday of the "abominable" murder of an elderly lady and planning attacks on other nurseries. Three days after the deaths of two babies and a day-care worker, prosecutor …. said that 20-year-old unemployed man …. was probably also the murderer of a former farmwoman earlier this month. "The author of the deeds is also the author of an abominable crime committed against a 73-year-old woman on January 16," …. told journalists.

A 14-year-old boy was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping his two-year-old stepsister. "When she asked him what had happened to her child, the teenager allegedly told his stepmother that he raped her in revenge." The teenager was apparently angry at his stepmother because she had accused him of stealing money from the house.

Two police officers were shot and wounded while on a Sunday morning routine patrol. "They spotted two suspicious-looking males in …. Street at 02:45 and when they approached, the two suspects opened fire," he said. The female reservist was shot in the head while the constable was shot in his head and chest. "The suspects then disarmed both members and fled with the police patrol vehicle, taking the two 9mm firearms with," he said.

A man has told how he held his friend's hand for 45 minutes while waiting for the police to arrive, after the friend was shot while helping him with his broken down car. While …. was lying under the car to try and find the problem, he heard …. call out for help, followed by the sound of a shot.

… found a dead woman tied to a tree… the woman was raped and then strangled to death.

A 19-year-old man was arrested for burning his girlfriend, 16, to death. An argument started between the two teenagers after the girl received a call on her mobile from a private number. He beat her up with fists until she collapsed. "He then doused his girlfriend with petrol and set her alight.

man murdered his estranged wife after becoming "enraged" when she changed her marital status on Facebook to "single",.... was found guilty of stabbing 26-year-old ... to death.....in her bedroom and subjected her to a frenzied and brutal attack with a knife and then attempted to take his own life."

I don't have the answers, just my opinions.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Tranced wrote:
    I have my ideas, but what should be done in cases like this. A point needs to be made that this behavious is utterly unacceptable in society....
    I agree with you on this part
    no point in blaming society in general for not giving the criminal help before hand etc etc.
    If you want to be part of society, play within the rules.

I don't totally agree with the latter part- especially with youngsters- if they have not been taught the rules, can you expect them to play by the rules
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    If everyone takes them on they will all retire very quickly, last night at 12:30 a.m. I was the only person at the lane that connects Shaftsbury avenue with the Haymarket. A Nepalese army vet was being mugged heavy handedly by three 30 year olds and he shouted to me to get them, I shouted which one but he didn't answer quick enough, I wanted the one with the money, due to their speed , the pillar and my lethargy they got away, I gave full on chase with "muggers" and " police" as well as some well aimed insults spewing forth , I was to full and badly dressed to catch any of the three, all of whom split up on que, when the Muggee caught up to me with the CPSOs he had got the wallet back as they had thrown it away on being challenged by my" which one" question, that wasn't my intention but a great result as the £400 was still in there along with loads of other stuff. Take them on and they will all go down, I suspect we may have a few retirements after last night.

Nobody helped me by the way, my success rate is 100 per cent five mugging stopped and no profit for the muggers, potential muggings are just that so are not included.

I also had four Portugese muggers on mopeds trying to do me in Faro 12 years ago just outside the airport at 3 am and I took a lift on the bonnet of the first car to arrive, wuggers are mankers, last nights beefiest one had on him a big white jacket with a four inch black stripe from collar to assos, it was like a light house.
  • spen666 wrote:
    Tranced wrote:
    And yes, people are wrongly convicted. It has happened. But where there is ANY doubt, the sentence should reflect that too. That is such a blatantly obvious point I didn’t think it even needed mentioning.…

To be convicted, a jury has to be "sure as to be certain" that accused is guilty or put another way- beyond all reasonable doubt.

Here in a 2 second internet search is a list of a few of those wrongly convicted and cleared later

Sheila Bowler
    4 years
    Carol Hanson
    27 years
    Peter Fell
    17 years
    Birmingham Six
    16 years
    M25 Three
    10 years
    Ryan James
    3 years
    Bridgewater Four
    17 years
    Judith Ward
    18 years

Danny McNamee
    11 years
    Guildford Four
    15 years
    Patrick Nicholls
    23 years
    Derek Bentley
    Hanged in 1953
    Stefan Kiszko
    16 years

Robert Haughton
    6 years
    Ashley King
    14 years
    Trevor Campbell
    14 years
    Kevin Callan
    4 years

Derek Treadaway
    9 years
    Johnny Kamara
    20 years
    Keith Twitchell
    12 years
    George Long
    16 years

Mary Druhan
    10 years
    Andrew Evans
    25 years
    Jonathan Jones
    2 1/2 years
    Andrew Smith
    22 years

Gurnos Three
    3-4 years
    Eddie Browning
    6 years
    Maguire Seven
    10 years
    John Roberts
    15 years

George Lewis
    5 years
    Patricia Bass
    3 years
    Cardiff Newsagent
    Three
    11 years
    Mark Cleary
    9 years
    Iain Hay Gordon
    7 years
    Trevor McCalla
    18 mths + remand
    Roy Burnett
    15 years
    Timothy Evans
    Hanged in 1950
    Cardiff Three
    4 years
    John McGranaghan
    10 years
    Richard Karling
    6 years
    Alexander Hall
    11 years
    James Hanratty
    Hanged in 1962
    Colin Wallace
    6 years
    Wayne & Paul
    Darvell
    7 years
    Hussein Mattan
    Hanged in 1952

Terry Pinfold / Harry Mackenney
    22-year wait for redemption
    Christopher Hagans / John Wilson
    Spent nine years in prison as a consequence of wrongdoing by police officers
    Gary Mills / Tony Poole
    Served 14 years before convictions overturned
    Mark Dallagher
    Served 7 years before charges formally dropped following re-trial
    Angela Cannings
    Served nearly 2 years before convictions quashed
    Trevor Wickens
    Incarcerated for thirteen and a half years before conviction declared unsafe
    George Kelly
    Hanged in 1950
    Reg Dudley / Bob Maynard
    Both served around twenty-five years before being released and later saw their convictions quashed
    Michael McMahon / David Cooper
    Both men served 10 years in prison before being released; sadly neither lived to see his name cleared.
    Michael Shirley
    Spent 16 years in prison for a crime the court of appeal admitted he could not have committed.
    Sally Clark
    Conviction quashed after 3 years in jail.
    Erkin Guney
    Conviction quashed after 7 years in jail.
    Michael Lawson / Basil Rigby-Williams
    The two men spent three years in prison after being convicted of sexual abuse - crimes it later transpired had never happened.
    Hasham Shah
    Spent 18 months in prison. Found guilty of committing a gay sex attack although he (a hererosexual) had been attacked at knifepoint by his supposed victim.
    Robert Brown
    Conviction quashed after 25 years in jail.
    Frank Johnson
    Conviction quashed after 26 years in jail.
    Dudley Higgins
    Conviction quashed on appeal.
    Patrick Irvine
    Conviction quashed after serving 11 years and 9 years after his release on licence.
    John Brannan/Bernard Murphy
    Convictions quashed after ten years.
    Stephen Downing
    Spent 27 years (!) in prison before his conviction was finally quashed.
    Roger Beardmore
    Conviction quashed three years after false rape accusations.
    Donald Pendleton
    Conviction quashed by the law lords after 15 years.
    Alex Allan
    Conviction quashed after student lawyers took up his case.
    John Hemphill
    Conviction quashed by the Scottish court of appeal after he had served six years.
    Joseph Otoo
    Aged 17 when convicted, Joseph Otoo served three years of a 7-year sentence before his conviction was quashed.
    Kevin Martin, Michael Brown, Anthony Taylor
    Cleared by the Court of Appeal 5 years into a ten-year sentence for armed robbery after being convicted on the basis of evidence planted by corrupt police officers.
    Serena Kayretli
    Cleared by the Court of Appeal after spending one and a half years in prison.
    Mohammed Yusef Patel
    Cleared by the Court of Appeal 13 years after serving 28 months of a 4-year sentence.
    James Reith
    Two years for "rape".
    Michelle & Lisa Taylor
    Convictions quashed following "sensationalist" reporting.
    John Woodruff and William Hickson
    Served two years in prison after having a gun "planted" on them by corrupt police officers.
    John McLoughlin
    Cleared by the Court of Appeal almost 10 years after being convicted of sex offences.
    Gary Shaffi, David Noble, Craig Lane, Michael Beadle
    Acquitted on appeal of the murder, nearly three years earlier, of a pensioner. Michael Beadle died while serving his life sentence.
    Philip English
    Philip English, whose conviction for the murder of Sergeant Bill Forth in Gateshead was later overturned by the Court of Appeal. Mr English was 100 yards away in handcuffs when a police officer was stabbed by Paul Weddle, but he was sentenced to life imprisonment under the law of 'joint enterprise'.
    George McPhee

Cleared after serving 16 years for murder

Bentley, Evans, Hanratty, Mattan & Kelly were actually executed but were not guilty of the crimes they were accused of and have been cleared in a court of law since then.

What do you say to all these people's familes- whooops mistakes happen?

Spen666, your objection to the death penalty seems to be based purely on innocent people being executed by the authorities, rather than any real moral issue.

If it's just about the deaths of the innocent which is the issue,I would venture that the government "kill" fewer innocent people than the thugs in society currently are; therefore fewer innocent people are killed.

That's if it's just a figures game. Of course I, like you wouldn't wish to see any innocent people executed, BTW the time line over which your list was compiled how big of list would a list of the rightly convicted be. I would suggest the percentage of wrongful convictions is %age wise realatively small.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • spen666

Spen666, your objection to the death penalty seems to be based purely on innocent people being executed by the authorities, rather than any real moral issue.

When have I said I have no moral issues re the death penalty? I don't think I has used the word moral have I?

Is not the killing of innocent people by the state somewhat immoral?

If it's just about the deaths of the innocent which is the issue,I would venture that the government "kill" fewer innocent people than the thugs in society currently are; therefore fewer innocent people are killed.
    Thats all right then- those innocent people killed by the state will die happy as will their families

That's if it's just a figures game. Of course I, like you wouldn't wish to see any innocent people executed, BTW the time line over which your list was compiled how big of list would a list of the rightly convicted be. I would suggest the percentage of wrongful convictions is %age wise realatively small.

The % of wrongful convictions in the criminal justice sysstem is frightingly high. However most people are either not imprisonerd or are freed before any appeal is heard and it is not worth their continuing protestations of innocence.

I have been involved in cases myself where I know innocent people have been convicted ( not of capital offences obviously)

Twittering @spen_666
  • Spen, I agree the thought of innocennt people being wrongly convicted never mind executed is abhorrent.

On the assumtion that the current system does not work as well as society would like, what would your suggestion be to prevent previously convicted offenders re-offending?
  • spen666
    heftyrider wrote:
    Spen, I agree the thought of innocennt people being wrongly convicted never mind executed is abhorrent.

On the assumtion that the current system does not work as well as society would like, what would your suggestion be to prevent previously convicted offenders re-offending?

That is a different debate to the death penalty one- I'm quite happy to debate that, but I do think it should be in a different thread.

Can I suggest you start a new thread re how to stop repeat offending. I will post on it when I get home later this evening - it is a complex subject with no simple ansers - except this - if we legalized everything, then there will be no crime, so no repeat offenders.
    I'm not saying it would be a world I'd like to live in though

Twittering @spen_666
  • I must reiterate I too am against the execution of the innocent (crikey what sort of person do you think I am) but I am in favour of both corporal and capital punishment. Spen666, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one my owd. But debating is what forums are all about, be dead boring if we all agreed.

One thing I am sure of though is we'd all like to live in a more peaceful world.
    Tail end Charlie

• Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    "A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death as he travelled to hospital with his young daughter to visit his wife who had just given birth to a boy.
    He became involved in an argument with a second man and died "in front of his daughter's eyes" in Croydon, south London, police said.
    A 22-year-old man was arrested and is in custody at a south London police station. "
    "The victim's three year-old daughter was with him when he was attacked, though fortunately she wasn't physically injured."
    A family devastated. Could have been anyone of your brother, son, father. A 3 yr old watching her Daddy stabbed to death in the street.
    Oh, I’m not surprised or shocked. I’ve seen it happen in front of me all too often. But here, in the UK…. the rate at which this is increasingly happening…..
    There can not possibly be any merciful feelings towards the stabber. He's out there with a knife and MUST know full well that he shouldn't have one on him in the first place.
    Although I believe there are very valid reasons to carry a knife other than protection/ malicious intent, the rules in UK & in particular London are clear. Don’t. Can’t be simpler.
    I fear, in years to come, despite/ due to good intentions, this is going to happen more & more…
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • Tranced wrote:
    "A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death as he travelled to hospital with his young daughter to visit his wife who had just given birth to a boy.
    He became involved in an argument with a second man and died "in front of his daughter's eyes" in Croydon, south London, police said.
    A 22-year-old man was arrested and is in custody at a south London police station. "
    "The victim's three year-old daughter was with him when he was attacked, though fortunately she wasn't physically injured."
    A family devastated. Could have been anyone of your brother, son, father. A 3 yr old watching her Daddy stabbed to death in the street.
    Oh, I’m not surprised or shocked. I’ve seen it happen in front of me all too often. But here, in the UK…. the rate at which this is increasingly happening…..
    There can not possibly be any merciful feelings towards the stabber. He's out there with a knife and MUST know full well that he shouldn't have one on him in the first place.
    Although I believe there are very valid reasons to carry a knife other than protection/ malicious intent, the rules in UK & in particular London are clear. Don’t. Can’t be simpler.
    I fear, in years to come, despite/ due to good intentions, this is going to happen more & more…

Best not hang the culprit, incase we get the wrong bloke.
    Tail end Charlie