Hi. Advice please.

aphxxx
aphxxx Posts: 3
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi
I am new to this mountain bike sport and have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks.
I have not cycled for 35 years since childhood.
I am a keen sporstsman & v competitive – but also like my creature comforts – which leads me to my question – HT or full suss.
I have not ridden either yet.
Is a full suss bike far more comfortable on fairly rigorous 2 – 3 hour rides?
I realize the full suss bike will weigh a few lbs more but how noticeable is it?
A salesman in my local (respected) Sheffield bike shop says a well set up full suss is the way to go – yet a keen mtb friends say not.
I have up to £1000 to spend on new/nearly new/08 model (Interesting how when I started I set a budget of £500 but it keeps going up)
I looked at the specialized fsr xc comp but would appreciate any comments on this choice and of course the questions I raise above.
Cheers
Andyxxx

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends where you ride as well. A HT with big tyres and comfy saddle will be fine over most average XC trails, but FS is more comfortable.

See if you can test ride any? Compare the FSR to say the Rockhopper Pro from the same brand?

I personally do notcie the weight which is why I have gone back to a HT.
  • i would go full suss
    i started riding 8 months ago bought a trek hardtail and never really got on with it so i bought a second hand full suss and have never looked back
    i am also from sheffield and the routes round our lovely city can be very hilly and high
    its all down to opinion i ride with a few xc blokes and dont keep up but i laugh at them when ive just hammered down stanich pole and they are still vibrating at the bottom
    sorry gone on a bit but my opinion for what its worth is full suss
  • When people say a F/S more comfortable, it needs to be brought into perspective. After a decent hard ride on rough terrain for a couple of hours I don't think you'd come off a F/S and say that it was a comfortable ride. If you want that then stay on the roads! F/S will however soak up some of the impact making the ride less harsh. You will still be buffeted and bounced around and have to use your knees to soak up the bumps too.....

Just depends how hard you ride and on what terrain...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you'd say it was more comfortable than a HT on the same terrain though! Generally speaking.

Tyres and saddle can play a big role.
  • aphxxx
    aphxxx Posts: 3
    stanno john

Thanks for your input.
    I hope you don’t mind me asking – I assume you don’t keep up because your friends are more accomplished/better/braver bikers – not because of the limitations of the full suss bike you ride?
    I have ran past s pole many a time and it will probably be my first bike ride!

pilsburypie

I am sure you are correct that going off road is not going to be ‘comfortable’ whichever bike I choose, but if full suss makes it considerably more ‘comfortable’ then that sounds good, so long as the downsides don’t out way the extra comfort gained.
    I would far rather walk than take up the option of road cycling.

supersonic

I will try and try out some bikes – thanks for your comments.

Thanks for everybody’s imput. Further comment and bike suggestions more than welcome

Andy