Fainting during spinning....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited January 2009 in Health, fitness & training
As the title says really... :shock:

It's happened a few times now and I have no idea what's causing it - i'm a fit and healthy 33 year old girlie with no medical problems. On Monday night I started off spinning really going for it, and 10 mins later staggered off with my OH holding me up :oops:

I have a feeling it's to do with food intake, but I always eat well :? My OH suggested that maybe I should be eating 2 hours before spinning / riding?

Any suggestions would be good as this is getting rather embaressing to be honest!

Thanks!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'd see a doctor.

That's not right, even if you are a bit low on calories.
  • miss notax
    Really?!! I don't like bothering doctors with silly stuff. I tend not to go unless I have a limb hanging off (and then I think twice about it) :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Surf-Matt
    Reasons I'd worry:

It's happened a few times before.

It's unusual to faint from physical exertion - in all the time I've been training like a nutter (basically since I was 16) I have never fainted from it, even when pushing myself to silly levels. Nor has anyone else I know.

You always eat well - I fainted from lack of food and sleep (when on parade for an hour!) but I had pushed eaten sod all for over a day and hardly slept a wink. Plus it was really hot and stuffy.

I'm sure it's probably okay but random fainting is definitely not a good thing and usually dealth with pretty promptly. Any dizziness, shortness of breath, shakiness or anything else?
  • miss notax
    Nope, absolutely fine!!

I am a bit of a fainter though - to the extent that there was always a good sweepstake running in my Navy days on parade (would she last 22 or 23 mins etc)..... I think everyone at spinning just thinks i'm pregnant. Which I most definitely am not!

I'll see how it goes tonight, and if it happens again then i'll think about a doctors appointment :D

• Surf-Matt
    You probably have very low bloody pressure (I have too - standing up after a hot bath used to make me lose my eyesight and nearly pass out!) but that shouldn't happen when your heart is beating fast.

Might be worth getting checked I reckon - just to eliminate anything worrying.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I get that, postural hypotension! My vision turns balck and purple, with funny stars!

I would see a doctor for a checkup. As has been said, could be low sugar, low BP, anaemia. I am sure the resident doc will have advice. Steve!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Choice 1) Stop spinning
    Choice 2) (advised) see a doctor
    Choice 3) (not advised) keep passing out.

Good luck!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • With your symptoms (although relatively minor) no doctor will mind seeing you, or think your wasting their time, it's free and even if there's nothing to do at least it will give you peace of mind.

And on the very very slim chance there is something too it, then you're on the road to getting it sorted. low BP or anaemia are the most likely causes, both of which are minor and can be treated.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    Fainting is usualy caused by lack of oxygen to the brain. It might be that you are pushing your body to long in the anaerobic zone. Next time you spin wear a heart monitor and get someone to monitor your heartrate. Write it down and take this information with you when you go and see a doctor. This will help him determine the cause of your fainting.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    As others have said, see a doctor. There are heart conditions that have fainting as a symptom and you really don't want to take any chances.

Matthew