Undertaker on a corner! GRRRR

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
We all see some horrendous driving from time to time but for me this particular instance should be up for some kind of award. I'm cycling to work on a relatively clear stretch leading up to a left-hand bend that has traffic lights on the bend itself that are clearly visible. I check behind me and there's a few cars behind but nobody indicating left or sending any kind of subliminal left-turning messages via road positioning. I move out and occupy primary on the lead up to the corner and just as I am on the approach the lights turn amber, so I start to slow and then red. Just as I'm fully coming to a stop a 4WD driven by an awld gimmer mounts the pavement to try to 'undertake' me. The gimmer's harpy then starts shouting at me and pointing.

FFS :evil:
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• BUICK wrote:
    We all see some horrendous driving from time to time but for me this particular instance should be up for some kind of award. I'm cycling to work on a relatively clear stretch leading up to a left-hand bend that has traffic lights on the bend itself that are clearly visible. I check behind me and there's a few cars behind but nobody indicating left or sending any kind of subliminal left-turning messages via road positioning. I move out and occupy primary on the lead up to the corner and just as I am on the approach the lights turn amber, so I start to slow and then red. Just as I'm fully coming to a stop a 4WD driven by an awld gimmer mounts the pavement to try to 'undertake' me. The gimmer's harpy then starts shouting at me and pointing.

Were you on the wrong side of the road? I am guessing that your location is not Leeds, UK.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    It is a pisser that some drivers seem to leave they brains on the seat next to them if you are luck or at home if you are not, as I saw the other night.

By a driver, driver just pass me when there was two other lines for him to go in and said if I was in a car I would have been seen

well with 2 smart lights at the back and Hi-vis coat on to, what more do you need.

Some driver just think we should not be on the road at all and treat you like it and I driver as well and it does not take much to make it easy for all.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    When i saw the subject line, i imagined a man in top hat and tails and a grim expression, stood on the corner...

Where's me coat :P
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    BUICK wrote:

What's one of these? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    spen666 wrote:
    The gimmer's harpy then starts shouting at me and pointing.

What's one of these? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:[/quote]
    The old gentleman's good lady wife.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    iain_j wrote:
    When i saw the subject line, i imagined a man in top hat and tails and a grim expression, stood on the corner...

Where's me coat :P

I thought the same. I opened the thread expecting to read that the guy had been cut up by a hearse...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    A picture might be worth a thousand words, but 'an awld gimmer' and 'the gimmer's harpy' conjure up a wonderful image !

Thanks Buick, you've brightened-up my day :lol:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Maybe the guy was an undertaker trying to create more business.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Ahh did he marry his sister I take it? Imagine how their kids turned out. :lol:
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    If I had been on the wrong side of the road there wouldn't have been an issue I guess but no, I was on the correct left in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

I didn't intentionally write the subject line as if the Grim Reaper had been stalking me, but it's not totally inappropriate in the circumstances!
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    One thing I think they should start doing to drivers like this when court doing things like this is to take away they license and stick them on a bike for a month ( tag them and the bike )

It would show them what it is like to be a round people like them on a bike, not sure it would work for some of them ( to thick ).
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Drivers should be made to retake their test every 10 years.

A licence is a privilege NOT a right as many motorists seem to think
  • downfader
    NWLondoner wrote:

Didnt both the RAC amd the AA go on the news and say they'd support every 5 years? I'd imagine it would reduce their insurance a little as their skills grow.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    NWLondoner wrote:

......and cyclists as road users......often a danger to themselves and to others through inappropriate or illegal behaviour...?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • downfader
    Ken Night wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:

......and cyclists as road users......often a danger to themselves and to others through inappropriate or illegal behaviour...?

I was thinking about this just this week. I would imagine, given the skills needed to drive and understand how to control the vehicle at speed its more necessary than with a cycle. A cycle is pretty easy to control... :?