Little accident this morning

2»

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...CP have sent you a PM...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Hope you're ok tomorrow as I suspect that's when you'll really start to feel it...

Did the police indicate fault or just take down details?

they said they weren't there to apportion blame they would let the insurance deal with it all.

I've noticed a bruise brewing on my knee. I'm sure I'll give my bike a proper once over soon.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Where's Spen666?

Surely we are overdue learning that it was all the OP's fault?
  • CP, glad to hear you're OK mate. Silly cow should have looked where she was going. Refer to the 'driving ability by gender' thread. Actually, don't.

It sounds to me a little like they're just trying their luck, seeing if you'll just give in and pay, people have done that to me in the past when they were in the wrong, just tell them to go about it the right way and stop threatening you.

Stick to your guns, perhaps contact the police, definitely the CTC. What did the coppers on the scene say regarding fault?

It's desperately unfair that they're even causing you any further bother. :x

EDIT: as I'm sure someone's said, document all injuries, go to your GP, photograph what you can.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    CP, glad to hear you're OK mate. Silly cow should have looked where she was going. Refer to the 'driving ability by gender' thread. Actually, don't.

It sounds to me a little like they're just trying their luck, seeing if you'll just give in and pay, people have done that to me in the past when they were in the wrong, just tell them to go about it the right way and stop threatening you.

Stick to your guns, perhaps contact the police, definitely the CTC. What did the coppers on the scene say regarding fault?

It's desperately unfair that they're even causing you any further bother. :x

EDIT: as I'm sure someone's said, document all injuries, go to your GP, photograph what you can.
    And note the date/time you received a call from them!!
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I'm sorry, I know the world has gone blame-game mad, but when exactly did it become acceptable to run someone over and then ask them to pay for your damage?

Glad you're ok anyway. If the police were there, would they not have establshed at the time that she was completely in the wrong?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You survived and it sounds like your bike is ok so what`s the problem?
    Comimg off your bike is all part of life`s rich tapestry.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:

The problem is that the stupid woman is pursuing him for damages, and what is more it was her fault! Read the whole thread maybe...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thats outrageous ! Can you imagine driving along, turning in front of a car and being hit and expect the other driver to pay ?

You do need legal help - as the others say CTC or pals of mine have used Alyson France at BikeLine - she's a cyclist herself, and even sponsors local events.

They'lll advise you to get a check up at a doc to make sure you are OK. Take pics of all the damage - to your clothes, hat, bike, body - dont make it a cheap option for her to mow down a cyclist.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    The forum is really grumpy today!
  • Clever Pun
    Jen J wrote:
    I'm sorry, I know the world has gone blame-game mad, but when exactly did it become acceptable to run someone over and then ask them to pay for your damage?

Glad you're ok anyway. If the police were there, would they not have establshed at the time that she was completely in the wrong?

they said they were not there to apportion blame

I see that as we'll do enough and bugger off..

I've got a page from their notebook so I can reference that if needs be, if some of the bruises come up I'll take a photo just in case.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    antfly wrote:

The problem is that the stupid woman is pursuing him for damages, and what is more it was her fault! Read the whole thread maybe...

Sorry,I couldn`t be bothered reading the whole thing I just read that bit.Obviously he shouldn`t pay,she`s just trying it on.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Jen J
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

I've got a page from their notebook so I can reference that if needs be, if some of the bruises come up I'll take a photo just in case.

That's very helpful of them... :roll:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    I'm sorry, I know the world has gone blame-game mad, but when exactly did it become acceptable to run so?meone over and then ask them to pay for your damage?

That's very ghey of them... You may feel it more tomorrow, and might be well-advised to get to a GP with any aches and pains at all. I'd contact the bobbies again and say she's trying to get you to pay for the damage and what should you do.

Might be useful, might not.
  • Clever Pun
    I've had to deal closely with traders, these two clowns don't bother me

it's just the whole paranoia streak that sets in sometimes.

To be fair the bloke backed off once I explained what happened and put her on as I could hear her giving it loads in the background...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm sorry, but every time I see the thread title I think CP maybe pooed himself a little bit or something. (some kind of long-forgotten childhood memory emerging perhaps?)
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    I'm sorry, but every time I see the thread title I think CP maybe pooed himself a little bit or something. (some kind of long-forgotten childhood memory emerging perhaps?)

Please refrain from making me laugh. It hurts my arm.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    biondino wrote:

Funniest reply everrrrrr :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:

:lol::lol: barsteward
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:

:lol::lol: barsteward

Another good reason to wear tweed plus fours :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'd have thought these highway code rules were quite clear

Turning right
    Well before you turn right you should

use your mirrors to make sure you know the position and movement of traffic behind you
    give a right-turn signal
    take up a position just left of the middle of the road or in the space marked for traffic turning right
    leave room for other vehicles to pass on the left, if possible
    Wait until there is a safe gap between you and any oncoming vehicle. Watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and other road users. Check your mirrors and blind spot again to make sure you are not being overtaken, then make the turn. Do not cut the corner. Take great care when turning into a main road; you will need to watch for traffic in both directions and wait for a safe gap.

She has to check and wait until the route is clear to cross. It is clearly her fault and she is rather cheeky to contact you asking for money. Suggest youo
    1 See you doctor in the morning just to check you are OK - simply recording that you went is important - you may have a delayed reaction and may want to SUE HER for shock or injury
    2 Ask the police for their notes
    3 Get legal advice from CTC or othe bike friendly source (Cyclist Defence Fund etc)

Glad you are OK. I've seen near misses like that all the time which is why (even if I could) I no longer bomb down empty bus lanes but instead slow down as I approach each junction just in case some joker isn't checking properly.

Go see the doctor - seriously. I'm not into the whole litigation culture but often the adrenaline etc means you don't realise you are injured until later and secondly she has shown what sort of moral value she has by asking you to pay for her mistake and being abusinve - I say make her pay. Get the bike checked out at yor LBS while you're at it - you may want her insurance to be paying out...
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • BoydJ
    BoydJ Posts: 33
    I had exactly the same accident a couple years ago - except I hit the rear 3/4 of an estate car. Police attended and only decided not to charge the driver because he had been flashed by a car on my outside. He admitted liability at the scene and I claimed directly on his insurance and was paid up for damage to bike and clothes and money for 'pain and distress'. No quibble or delay from the insurance company either - paid up within a couple of weeks.

Had there been any difficulty with liability, I would have used CTC lawyers, since I am a member. Liability in this is quite clear - driver is 100% to blame.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Make sure you get a bike shop to give your bike a proper check (tell them it is for an insurance claim, so they give it a full going over). A few years ago my brother had an accident with a right-turning car. The impact obliterated the bearings in his headset, damaged the steel frame beyond repair (although the average person could have easily missed it and carried on using what would have been an accident waiting to happen), ruined his front wheel, etc. The last thing you want to be doing is riding your bike a week from now and have it snap in half, leading to serious injury.

Get photos of the site of the accident. Note weather conditions, etc. Witnesses can also be useful if any exist (I once got nowhere with a claim where a car outside me had turned left on me because no witnesses existed and the driver was literally making things up in the small claims court session). I also think it is vital to not assume the driver will act honourably or tell the truth. In these situations you get to see the darker sides of their personality.
  • Totally agree with the posters here that this appears to be a straightforward case of liability resting with the other party. British Cycling's lawyers are Leigh Day and they are excellent in my experience. Free if you're a BC member and perhaps worth a call if CTC aren't an option. There are also a number of law firms advertsing in the LCC Magazine if you have access to a copy. Be prepared for the other party to fabricate what happened, and do get your bike and yourself checked (there's a walk in minor injuries unit at Barts where they can X-Ray you on the spot if neccessary). Good luck.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Sorry to come in late but reading this thread has made my blood boil.

CP, DO NOT PAY these tw*ts any money at all.

I see so many idiot drivers out there but the police only seem to go after people who drink-drive or speed. There are a million other really stupid things drivers do all the time and the police just ignore it. Things that are really dangerous to us folk on two wheels.

Since it is (rightly) illeagle to drink and drive, then it should be equally illeagle to be stupid and drive. The consequences are damn near the same. If these idiots remain un-punished then they will never learn.

Maybe a good punishment would be to force these drivers have to travel a set number of miles (say 500), over a set amount of time (like a month) on a bike, just to see what we have to put up with.

What makes me angrier still is that these moorons are probably mouthing off to all their friends about 'idiot cyclists' and how we shouldn't be on the road. Thus giving us an even worse name with drivers, for completely undeserved reasons.

I'm eager to hear how this pans out CP. You seem like a really nice guy and it makes me even angrier that they are trying to exploit that.

On a positive note, I'm really glad that your injuries were only minor and I wish you a very speedy recovery.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Jen J wrote:

I know two people who were hit by cars where the driver tried to blame them, one even sued. First one was a team rider for a local club, coleage of my brother's and a porshe guy pulled out of a side road. SMASH! Full carbon frame and rider done in. Porsche guy then started shouting "What have you done to my car! Are you going to pay! I bet you're not insured. Effin cyclists..." (paraphrased). Cyclist said he was, exchanged details and got several grand off porsche guy. Porsche guy got nothing but an empty wallet. Served him right.

Second guy, family friend, went to london. Half drunk but still used the toucan crossing and clearly remembered pressing the button and waiting for green man. Next thing he knew he was waking up in hospital. The driver that hit him then took him to court saying it was family friends fault and he should pay the damage. Driver lost the case, had to pay a far wedge, again, served him right.

CP. If you're a member of the CTC already phone their legal number. If not theres RJW lawyers who they work with. Good rep for cyclists, I'm sure they'd take this on.

Photo and video any injury. Dont do as I did and wait too long and take several over a few days period. You want to capture any nasty, angry colours in bruising. Also go and see a doctor, or the nurse at the local walkin center, get yourself checked over to be sure.

Then lastly get the bike checked at one or two good cycle shops. Letter headed quotes are very handy :wink: