Respaced Hubs - Where do you buy your spacers?

GarethPJ
GarethPJ Posts: 295
edited January 2009 in Road general
I know a few people on here are prone to respacing rear hubs to convert to single speed. I have a question for those that do:

Where do you buy spacers?

My LBS used to stock them but don't have them anymore. I've even tried to find a source of sturdy 10mm ID tube but I can't find any.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't know if this is what you're after but worth a look.

http://www.londonfixiebike.co.uk/shop.html
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • GarethPJ
    Hi thanks for that. Unfortunately their kits are very specific sizes. You used to be able to buy a variety of widths singly, which would allow you to respace anything to anything else. I'm sure somewhere must still sell them.

For example nothing I see on there would suit for the job I'm currently doing, respacing a 126mm six speed hub to 120mm single speed. I'm trying to avoid it, but I think I'm going to have to resort to that old standby of using spare cones, nuts and washers to get the spacing I want.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Know anybody who is handy with a lathe? Try a local engineering firm and thay might be able to knock somethin up for you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    MY method is "that old standby of using spare cones, nuts and washers to get the spacing I want."

Cheapskate, moi?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I just raid my lbs when i need small bits like that, they do a lot of hub gear renovation so have lots of spares around.
  • GarethPJ
    My LBS must keep stuff like the old bits to themselves for their own jobs. Quite sensible and I completely understand.

I think I'll get see if I can't get hold of some old wheels and rob them of their spacers. I shouldn't have any trouble cutting then square. The trick is a good pipe cutter, then go through with a 10mm or 3/8" drill, then a fine flat file to finish.

With a steady hand and a flat file you can even make single ring bolts out of doubles.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There're packs of 10mm stainless spacers/washers for this listed on ebay at moment - Londonfixie co I think (Seller ID monsiuer poliou?). Sorry I've forgotten full link!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GarethPJ
    meagain wrote:
    There're packs of 10mm stainless spacers/washers for this listed on ebay at moment - Londonfixie co I think (Seller ID monsiuer poliou?). Sorry I've forgotten full link!

Thanks for the heads up, but I've managed to source three pairs of old wheels today so I'm sorted for a while.

So on sunday I will mostly be taking old wheels apart.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I strip every old wheel I can find for spacers. Try the local tip.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    M10 stainless washers - 1 or 2 mm thick available from Stagonset
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..