Going up hills?

ragged1100
ragged1100 Posts: 147
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Getting up muddy/slippy singel track. So what's the basic technique? I'm starting to get the strength, but how do you:

a) stop the front wheel lifting while
b) getting weight over the back to stop the rear wheel from spinning?

Any tips greatfully recieved!

Ragged
Gawton Gravity Hub - "England's best permanent downhill tracks"

www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk
www.facebook.com/gawtongravityhub

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is all about the correct gear combo and shifting the weight to get the right balance. Practice is key here!

You may benefit from mud tyres or shortening the fork if you can.
  • welcome to the forum.

David
  • Twisterboy wrote:
    welcome to the forum.

David

Thanks

Ragged
    Gawton Gravity Hub - "England's best permanent downhill tracks"

www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/gawtongravityhub
  • Gear choice is critical, and comes with practice. You need to be low enough to maintain a reasonably fast cadence without spinning out if the rear slips. You'll have to experiment to get the feel for it.

Stay in a seated position on the very nose of the saddle and put your elbows down to bring your forearms parallel to the ground - this will give you a good weight distribution between the front and rear wheels to maintain traction and balance

Keep your pedalling as smooth as possible to avoid breaking traction.

Have fun!

Alaric.
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    you want to sort of pull the bike to you. leaning over the front but keeping seated to keep some weight over the back end. as alaric said to keep your elbows down works a treat and right gear so you're not pushing too hard and keeping the cadence at the right sort of level to not over spin but not too hard..

sorry if this is useless but at this moment in time i doubt i could balance on my feet... bike is easier :D
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Top tip time : Move your thumbs to the top of the bar rather than hooked underneath that will (along with droping your elbows down) stop you pulling up on the bars and lifting the front wheel ! Try it you'll be suprised how effective it is ! :)