CREDIT CRUNCH! Hydration Pack For Newbie

rockhopper09
rockhopper09 Posts: 21
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Just back from tesco, got myself one of these....

ne6khj.jpg

Here the link if you wanna buy it.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-0611.aspx

I`ll hit the trails tommorrow to give it a go.....

What you thoughts on it, anyone got one already????

Comments

• that looks ok to me! 8)

for a tenner you can only try it, if it is crap its crap! if its good then you have a bargain

i am on the look out for something exactly the same so i think i will go and pick one up myself :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to have one, perfectly decent small hydropak. Mouth valve not as good as a Camel, but who cares?! Cost less than a replacment bladder!

In fact as I lost my last one I am getting another.
  • rhysduk
    rhysduk Posts: 138
    My current hydro pack (Camel) is void of any storage space (although I can slip a pump down the inside)... This may be just what I need, unless I find a bladder for even cheaper Rhys :P
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • well worth a tenner, will do the job for a few hours at the very least, if not more
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    why the hell not?

It is true with all thing MTB that you generally get what you pay for (camel are the better pack) but we dont all have £2000 for a bike and a spare £500 for kit so things like this are great for the MTBer on a budget IMO.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • I bought one for my brother last year, the bladder split 10 minutes after he filled it. Tesco did replace it without quibbling and the replacement has been fine.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I use one of these and its does its job perfectly well. Its surprisingly big i carry my pump, spare inner tubes, tools, phone, wallet, ipod, glasses case with room to spare incase i get hot and take my top off.

Also just got a set of allen keys from tesco for 95p.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    The other place to keep a check on (if youve got one local to you) is costco, i brough a High Sierra rucksack (with 2ltr bladder) for £11. its lasted longer than anything else ive tried, i still use it now.
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Gelert (spelling?) do a canny few decent packs, not to pricy either, i had a 2 litre one with enough storage for essentials and it lasted me over a year, 12.99 i think?? I gave it to my mate and its going strong.

Although i did get a CamelBack for 39.99 reduced from 79.99 and it is a huge improvement, but i wouldn't have paid 80 quid for it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've been using an aldi one all winter - works great.
  • LordBanks wrote:
    Gelert (spelling?) do a canny few decent packs, not to pricy either, i had a 2 litre one with enough storage for essentials and it lasted me over a year, 12.99 i think?? I gave it to my mate and its going strong.

Gelert do indeed do some good value backpacks, and if you like them you can pay twice the price for the same thing with Bikehut branding.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I bought one of these last week, wasn't particularly looking for one but spotted them in Tesco and for a tenner, hasto be worth a pop!

well I'm impressed by the amount of gear I can squeeze into it, the only things I don't like about it are that the mouth piece isn't very good but maybe its just the fact Ive not used one before so techinique?

and although i washed it thoroughly and sterilised it the water still tastes like medical gloves... Ill try it again on Sunday with Juice in it and see how that goes. :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    similar to the one i got from Decathlon a bit back. But I got ripped off. 12 whole english pounds it was . Robbing gets :D
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I got one from Aldi's end of last year. It cost 10 pounds!!

Enough storage for spare tube, pump, tools, bike lock (for when I've gone into town!) and still some space plus there's a front pocket I can put in my gps, phone ipod etc. So I'd recommend it. Apparently their offers come round a few times a year.

Also on budget cycle gear - last year I bought from Lidl cycle leggings, good padding and very comfortable, for 7.99, a long sleeve jersey for 6.99 and cycle shoes, spd ready for 9.99, again the shoes were very comfortable with good stiff soles.

So my whole cycle specific kit last year cost me a total of 35 quid!!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You can buy spare camelback bite valves and I think the tubing is the same diameter so you could upgrade if you wanted (spare valve may cost more than cheap hydration pack).

I used to use a Decathlon one, worked well, and had loads of storage, have two camelbacks now but they lack the storage.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Exactly i checked on CRC.com for spare camelbak mouth pieces, and I'm sure they were about a fiver... + postage etc which would have came to near the cost of the bag itself, so I will persist with the cheap'o valve and see how it goes...

on cheapness subject, i noticed Trespass in our local town was having a big sale last weekend so wondered in for a butchers and purchased two microfleece's and two base layer tops the wicking stuff, for £40... as it was 2for £20 on loadsa items and they were priced up at £20 each, so i saved 50% bargain in my eyes :D
  • In my oppinion the Decathlon Rockrider hydration packs are good! They're like £15 and have quite a bit of storage space and i have had mine for a few months now and had no probs with it :D

Nick
  • I've been using a £10 Aldi bag for nearly 2 years now and nothing wrong with it. Camelback might be slightly better quality but it shows what a rip off they are imo.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Guilty of buying the Tesco item, cleared them out in Cribbs Causeway today. Got to sort all the straps out though, too much like bondage it they're all done up :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I got one of these (or similar) from Tesco a couple of years ago & its great for smaller local routes. I too had a problem with the taste but found that swapping the bladder from my Camel sorted this. I still use my tesco pack for journeys of a couple of hrs, for full days I use a bigger North Face Hammerhead - really like the north face only problem is the bite valve is dificult to get used to so again I find myself swapping bladders to a camel version!!! The tesco version does the same job as others costing considerably more but it's still great for hydration & carrying stuff.
  • A lad at works got one of them Tesco ones and its lasting fine.

I got a cheap hydration pack from a outdoor shop for £15 and the zip bust on the 3rd or 4th ride.

I've got a 1.5l Camelbak too, think I might put some velcro straps on it to fasten my pump too...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I bought the Tesco Hydration pack about a year ago and its still going strong!!

A bargain !!