Handle Bar Grips moving?

mcflyss
mcflyss Posts: 257
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,
REal Nooob here im afraid.
I was out on a ride today when my grip started to slip, i can now pull it off and rev it like a motorbike! Would have been fun when i was younger!
Any way, what is the best way to get it back on and stay on pls..?
I tried drying it but it still slips. What am i missing?

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    spray paint works best.

spray a little inside the grip then get it on the bar fast as you can.

you can use some wire to hold them in place if you like but its not really neccessary (see how to in this moths mbuk) or buy lock ons, but a can of paint is much cheaper.
  • hairspray (cheap and nasty). Method as above, just as secure, but means you don't get paint on your bars.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    +1 for hairspray. once its dried it sticks nicely 8)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Get a set of lock on grips, less than £15. Makes it much easier if you need to remove them than the paint / hairspray method :wink: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Get a set of lock on grips, less than £15. Makes it much easier if you need to remove them than the paint / hairspray method :wink: .

i normally use wd40 through the straw and jammed up the grip to remove, seems to have never let me down yet.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    One Xmas I got some Ted Baker aftershave. It nearly took my skin off but it's great for fixing grips.

Bike smells a bit dodgy tho.
  • stumpyjon wrote:

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Get lock ons. much better and easier
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    thanks for all your answers, will nick some of her in doors hair spray and give that a whirl!
    If not like the look of the lock on grips!!!
  • take the grips off then spray hairspray on the bar, put the grips back on and leave for 24h
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    R34PER wrote:
    stumpyjon wrote:

i normally use wd40 through the straw and jammed up the grip to remove, seems to have never let me down yet.

I used to use GT85 before I swapped to lock ons, but then I never really had slippage problems (until just before I swapped them, but that was after nearly 2 years and I had already decided to upgrade to lock ons).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You might find some water damaged lock-ons in the CRC floodsale, I did.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    If you use hair lacquer make sure it's something like L'Oreal Normal Hold. Just wet and restyle at any time.