Should I (a total newbie) enter the Lakeland Loop?

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
I was looking around for a first sportive to enter and it turns out this is my local one. I've never done any events before and have yet to assemble my new bike (stupid job...) however it's not that long away so would be a realistic challenge...

Has anyone got any advice regarding the event - is it nails or beginner friendly etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Go for it mate. It's a great route, not too long as sportives go (bloody hilly though), and what's the worst that can happen? I doubt it'll be easy, but if you're reasonably fit already and can get some decent miles in over the next few months then it's definitely do-able (and more importantly enjoyable!). Seeing as you're local to the Lakes you're not going to have any trouble finding big hills to practice on, and you can check out bits of the route beforehand. I was going to do this myself as a warm up for the Fred Whitton, but other stuff got in the way.
  • jam1e
    With it being local I figure I'll be able to get picked up if it all goes pear shaped anyway! Glad my bike turned up with a triple on it now, I can see it might come in useful in the not to distant future...
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Very friendly, excellent feed stops and the organiser is a good chap. Some killer hills, oh yes. Do it!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • If you're local can we all come and stay at your place the night before. Seems accommodation is in short supply!!
  • jam1e
    I'm sure there'll be room on the floor of my folks garage! (I'm from Windermere but don't live there anymore unfortunately so I'll be on their floor as well sadly)