Evans Cycles - Ride It

mellex
mellex Posts: 214
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Has anyone taken part in one of the Evans Cycles Ride It days? Specifically the off-road events?

Was considering doing their off-road ride from Sandown Race course and I wanted a few opinions. I know the terrain out that way won't be particularly jaw dropping, my concern is more in relation to how the day/event is structured.

Thank you.

Comments

• I've done several of these and I would rate them quite highly. The HQ is usually at a local school so they have good facilities, parking, toilets etc. The routes(s) are well signposted and you get a map and a briefing before you leave so you're aware of any special conditions. There's at least 1 refreshment point along the way where you can refill your bottle/camelbak and get mechanical help if required. Once you've finished there's usually a bike wash, although there can sometimes be a long queue to use it, also there's hot food and drinks for sale. So far I've done 4 of these rides and they've all been superbly organised and I've really enjoyed them, in fact I'm also going to do the Sandown one.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I've done several of these and I would rate them quite highly. The HQ is usually at a local school so they have good facilities, parking, toilets etc. The routes(s) are well signposted and you get a map and a briefing before you leave so you're aware of any special conditions. There's at least 1 refreshment point along the way where you can refill your bottle/camelbak and get mechanical help if required. Once you've finished there's usually a bike wash, although there can sometimes be a long queue to use it, also there's hot food and drinks for sale. So far I've done 4 of these rides and they've all been superbly organised and I've really enjoyed them, in fact I'm also going to do the Sandown one.

Same comments from me. I've done three of the off-road ones and they have been good - very well organised. Main part is that you get to ride in a completely new area (assuming it's new to you that is :lol: ) and you do feel part of an event as there are usually a few hundred riders around. They are not stricktly competetive so you can go at your own pace, although the nature of it tends to make you push harder than a tootle around your local routes.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    in fact I'm also going to do the Sandown one.

Then judging by the responses I've received, I might well see you there.
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    +1 I did the Dorking event last year. Well organised and well-marked trail. Was a beautiful day too which helped (albeit muddy from preceding rain)
  • Chitch
    Chitch Posts: 7
    HI, I agree with all that the other guys have said about the Evans Ride It series. I did my first one about 6 years ago. I had been riding for a few years but on my own and not challenging myself either with my riding pace or the terrain. I've made good friends through the Evans rides, guys who i now regularly ride with both locally and for weekends away in Wales.They are friendly events as well, if you puncture or have a mechanical problem many of the other riders will offer assistance. Also check out Trailbreak, they used to organise the events for Evans but they parted company last year and Trailbreak run a southern series of events on an identical format.
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    did th one in chieveley 2 weeks ago, well ogranised but found the ride a little dull. riding with lots of others made a nice change though
  • Did the Rochdale one on saturday - Fantastic route - not much road - Plenty of climbing and very well organised.
    On One 456 Summer Season
    On One Inbred Single Speed
    Spesh Stumpy FSR Elite 08
    Spesh Rockhopper Disc 08
    Alpinestars Cro Mega 92