Lakeland Loop

Has anyone else had problems in getting one nights accomodation in the Lakes for Saturday 11th April? Becasue it is Easter Weekend everywhere is booked up or they want a minimum 2/3 night stay.
Looks like it will be a very early start and drive straight up and back!!
Just a fat bloke on a bike

Comments

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    What about YHA or camping - or were you looking for more luxuary?
  • Too old for YHA and camping....i spent enough time sleeping out in fields and ditches in the Army. I want a warm bed and hot brekkers!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I can kind of see your point...

...but i would argue that camping's only uncomfortable if you let it be. Fine, go without a pillow if you are lightweight hiking - but if there is a car involved then its 2 pillows, airbed, duvet, sleepingbag, and hot water bottle for this girl.

p.s having worked in many a lakes hotel i would say your chance of getting 1 night only on easter bank holiday is slim - the best bet would be to look outside central lakes, or try for a cancellation.
  • Are there any travel lodges in the outlying area Barrow for example.
    Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    The YHA in Ambleside is really nice - private rooms, good food, secure storage etc. It's def not full of 12 man dorms and 0500 starts!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'll be staying in Morecambe overnight and then driving 45 mins or so to the start. Morecambe never ever gets overbooked!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Oh Boll*x, I've only just realised this is on Easter Sunday.

The roads will be a nightmare, every man and his dog will be out for a sunday drive up the lakes.
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    I'll be heading up from Leeds. I'd originally planned to leave rather early, aiming to start around half 8. I might consider heading up the night before with a tent though...
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I didn't realise it was on easter sunday either.

The roads are going to be ridiculously busy and there will be a caravan of traffic at a standstill going up and down hardknott pass if it is anything like last August bank holiday when I was there. I had gone there to face my nemesis after failing miserably to get anywhere near the top of the pass during the Lakeland Loop but found my route blocked by two cars trying to squeeze past each other at snails pace on the first left hand bend.

B&B will be impossible unless you book for the whole weekend. I live in Newcastle and will probably stay in Penrith on the Saturday night
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    is this likely to sell out fast, i am fortunate to live in lancaster (first sportive ever)
  • One of my jobs for my day off tomorrow - find a place to stay. i'm not driving up from home (Cambridge) on the day or even from my mum's (Batley). If I get anywhere I'll let you all know.......
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    To save your phone bill and sanity I'd suggest ringing the Ambleside, Windermere etc tourist information places and let them search for you. They normally have a list of vacant places on a day by day basis...
  • jam1e wrote:
    To save your phone bill and sanity I'd suggest ringing the Ambleside, Windermere etc tourist information places and let them search for you. They normally have a list of vacant places on a day by day basis...

Cheers, thanks to your tip and the nice lady in the Wndermere tourist office I'm sorted for somewhere to stay. Just need some easier gears!!!

DM
  • I was thinking of doing this one as i'm local, but now it's been pointed out that it's easter holiday i don't think i'll bother!

The traffic could be a nightmare and will hamper times considerably.

Bit of a daft choice of weekend really to run a sportive in the Lakes.
  • [quote=Cheers, thanks to your tip and the nice lady in the Wndermere tourist office I'm sorted for somewhere to stay. Just need some easier gears!!!

DM[/quote]

...or maybe not. B&B was booked through an intermediary website but they phoned to tell me they would not do a single night over easter. So rang ambleside YH and they've done me a bed for £12.50 cheaper. Result.

DM